How do you white wash a photo?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Joe Bannon, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

I hired a guy to edit this photo I took. I'm doing some other photo editing and wanted to know how he white washed this photo. I guess that's the term used, correct me if I'm wrong.

[​IMG]

Here is the before...

[​IMG]

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm guessing you're talking about the flare effect behind of the woman? It's difficult to guess how much was created in PS and how much is part of the original photo.

To recreate this using the woman and the curtains you'd need to cut her out and paint a white glow in the layers in-between, using layers blending modes to soften and make it look realistic.

3. Joe Bannon thread starter macrumors regular

No, that was the easy part. I did that with the camera and putting a strobe in front of her and the curtain.

I'm talking about whitening the photo itself.

4. chrisbb macrumors member

just create a new layer of pure white, then turn the opacity down to like 4 - 5% :)

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Brightness/Contrast can accomplish that as well..

6. Ad Pro macrumors member

either create a layer filled with white and adjust the opacity.

Or in levels (image> adjustments> levels) move the left marker on the output levels slider to about 10.

7. rockdog macrumors member

rockdog

It might be helpful to see what the original looked like so there is some basis for comparison

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Adjust the curves so the darkest blacks turn to gray. With the curve window open you can click on the picture to tell which value is where on the curve so you can adjust specific values without messing up other values.

I made the effect more extreme by just moving the bottom point diagonally up, you can also play with it more by adding more points and bending the curve so its more contrasty in the red or whatever.

Attached Files:

9. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

10. Joe Bannon thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a tutorial on this?

11. Joe Bannon thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I added it.

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I dont know, you just go to image>adjustments>curves and move the bottom left point up along the diagonal line. His version has a lot of blue so he probably picked the blue channel from the drop down menu and messed with that the most. You can give it a colored tone by doing the channels individually, or give it an even gray tone by doing RGB.