How do you Wipe Computer Clean???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rhobes, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hello-

I bought a new 27" iMac and want to give the old one away to the local library, how do I erase all traces of me and all the files??

The iMac runs great & has had numerous upgrades over it's life. I don't want to "degrade" it but am afraid it may not respond to a standard attempt to erase the system.

Here is what I have:

ORIGINAL BOUGHT AS FOLLOWS: (bought 11/30/2002)
    iMac 17" widescreen
    MODEL M8812
    800 MHz Pwr PC G4
    256 MB
    80 GB HD
    ------------------------------------------
    UPGRADES:
    *1024 GB SDRAM
    *DAYSTAR MAChSpeed G4 iMac flat panel CPU upgrade; 1.35 GHz (7457 CPU w/ 512 L2 Cache installed).
    *OS9 removed and HD not partitioned anymore
    *OSX 10.5.8 "Leopard", I believe a "PATCH" was used to allow this iMac to run Leopard.
    ------------------------------------------
    **If you select "About This Mac" from the Apple Menu the computer lists the processor as follows: 350 MHz Power PC G4. Processor Name: Power PC 60?(1.2)
    -----------------------------------------
    I have all original packaging and all CD's that came with it. I don't want to erase everything to the point that OS9 from the original CD's would have to be loaded again (OS9 was a real drag, never used it).

Any suggestions as to how I can erase most things from this system without messing it up?

If it turns out to be a hassle then I'll junk it, I'm sure it's not worth anything, hardly a chance to sell with the problems of reconfiguring it all-

TIA

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

You would need to erase the HDD (possibly write 0's to all data to completely protect yourself) but if you don't want a huge hassle then I don't know. What's a hassle? Reinstalling the OS shouldn't be too hard, it will just take time.

3. fivedots macrumors 6502a

You could trash all of your content and unneeded apps and then use Disk Utility to erase the free space.

About the only way of going about it without reinstalling the OS. Still probably not the most secure as I'm sure there will be bits and pieces of your data about.

4. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx