How do you wipe everything off a Mac except the OS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 9662danny, Mar 30, 2010.

1. 9662danny macrumors newbie

Hi - what I would like to is to wipe everything off my mac (second hand) so that I can start again with everything clean and fresh.

I've done this sort of thing before with other Macs by simply reinstalling the the start up disk - but this is where the problem lies - the disk that came with the Mac is only for OS 10.4.10 (Tiger) and the Mac is currently running OS 10.5.6 (Leopard) and I don't really want to downgrade (the weird thing is the Mac came with Leopard from the factory so I don't know whey it wasn't supplied with the disk).

So is there any way I can delete everything else off the Mac (files, programs - AND MOST IMPORTANTLY change the "home file" name) with out loosing Leopard?

Thank you very much in advance!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You could buy Snow Leo for 29$ and use that to do a clean install.

Just create a new account and delete the old one and its data.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The real option you have is to reformat and reinstall. Other then manually deleting files, there's no apps to do what you're asking.

4. 9662danny thread starter macrumors newbie

If I create a new account and delete the old one will it allow me to change the name of the "home" file?

Thanks

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not easily but yes. I would buy the Snow Leo though, and use it for clean install

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You could also try calling Apple to get a correct set of replacement restore discs. I did that once and they sent them for free. Of course I was still under warranty, but I've heard that they don't charge more than $20-$30 even out of warranty.