How do your organize your iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HE15MAN, Mar 18, 2010.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Looking for better ways to organize my photo library, how do you organize yours? :apple:

2. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

For us we just like organizing by events. Its the most meaningful.

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It's been on my To-Do list forever now. I know will organize it by events, but I also have a lot of other photos that aren;t really events just a single random photo. I don;t really have it organized right now, but it would be interesting to see how everyone else does it.

4. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Yea same here, its something that i think done right, could be very neat

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use Aperture 3 instead. ;) It is a tool really designed for professionals, but even as an enthusiast consumer... I am loving it.

The only reason I am mentioning this is for those of you who feel the need to do much more than is possible with iPhoto... Aperture 3 is really a spectacular application! It is reason enough to switch from a PC to a Mac.

/Jim

6. GeraldButton macrumors member

Pretty basic for me. When the photos are imported I name each one. After that I will add the faces from that event, then create a normal album for them on the sidebar. One thing I do though that saves me a lot of time is create a Smart Album for each month and or year depending on how far back your photos go.

I do not travel outside Newfoundland so I don't really Geo Tag my photos. I do use Faces though, at first I thought it was kind of a stupid feature and I wasn't impressed. Now I love it.

7. cindyhy macrumors member

My photo library is a total mess. With the tons of photos, if you didn't organize them when you first imported them, this thing just gets unmanageable.:(

8. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I put all my photo's into named folders in the standard 'pictures' folder. I then drag that folder into iPhoto for previewing everything.

I find this way gives me better control, as importing directly into iPhoto sorts events by date folders, which sucks if I'm away with a group of friends and want to store photo's seperately to allow me to send, edit and remove.

:rolleyes:

9. SpitUK macrumors 6502

SpitUK

Thanks Jim, you have just inspired me even more to change to the Mac. I have been reading reviews of Aperture 3 and drooling. I have 25000 photos that need sorting on my PC. CBA on that machine. Gonna get an imac 27" for my photo work next week.

10. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

This. It was annoying when they introduced Events because Events groups my photos completely at random. Then when I got a new computer and imported three different past iphoto libraries into the one iphoto it imported multiple copies of each photo, thumbnails of each photo, removed date/time information from many photos, the Faces feature creating additional photos of just faces in my library (??) for even more useless redundancy (as if having four copies of everything wasn't enough, now i have four copies of everyone's face from every photo) and now my iphoto library is effed. Photos from the last ten years, I'm going to have to spend days putting things back in some kind of order. I'm thinking of starting over in aperture simply because iphoto is such a mess of crap features I'm afraid it's going to collapse in on itself and create a photo singularity that would be even more difficult to reorganize than it is now.

11. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I refer back to my other post. Create folders in pictures for all your photos and if you want to view in iPhoto drag and drop the folders into Events.

12. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I don't use Events that iPhoto imports all you pictures in to start with, I use Smart Albums and Key Words for all my photos, also now that iPhoto has Faces and Places that also helps to find photos.

I use Events as just a way to get my photos into iPhoto, from there I assign Keywords, Descriptions and Rate them. After you setup some Smart Albums based on Keywords you will find things will start to fall into place and you can find any photo with just a few keystrokes and not have to scroll down the Events looking for the right one.

Lets say I have a photo of Uncle Bob that I took on vacation in 2003 at Blue Lake in Idaho, I would add the Key Words, Blue Lake, Family, Vacation and Idaho (we travel a lot so I have Smart folders for each State inside of a Folder called States). I can now find that picture several ways and not have to remember what Event it is in. I can find him by typing Uncle Bob or Family or Idaho or Blue Lake or Vacations. Uncle Bob would show up in several Smart Albums, but I still only have two of that photo of him, the Original and a Modified, well there is a small thumbnail of each too.

I have Folders in the sidebar that can make quick work of finding groups of photos. I have a States folder that has Smart Albums of each state's photos, a Family folder That has Smart Albums of Holidays and special events (like weddings and graduations).

When you first start you can add Keywords in batches ( you don't have to add them one at a time, I select the whole even sometimes and add keywords) and do thousands of photos in less time than you might think. Add a few Folders and Smart Albums as you go along and you can get organized from the start. Work on it as you have more time and get even more advanced.

13. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Yeah. But when it comes to organizing tens of thousands of photos that way I get kind of :( and tend to find something else to do. At this point my digital photo collection is located firmly in the Procrastinate/Avoid section of my brain just cuz its so fxr'd partly thanks to iphoto's cleverness.

14. cindyhy macrumors member

Exactly.

15. EmbraceNext macrumors member

I use events for organizing. However those one or twos pics that you take just for the hell of it go into an even named "Misc. Photos".

I also tag them with keywords and faces. So its pretty easy to find what I am looking for. I have about 10,000 pics.

16. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I suggest that you look at the posts of rboyer in the Aperture forums within the Apple support section of their website. Also look at his blogs and ebooks on his personal website: http://photo.rwboyer.com/

I suspect that you will be impressed... if not a bit overwhelmed.

I bought the 27" i7 iMac in December. I suggest that you get the 2TB upgrade right away... since they are difficult to upgrade in the field.

/Jim