iPad Pro How does 29w MacBook Charger affect charge times?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 1738, Nov 18, 2015.

1. 1738 macrumors newbie

I've searched around and I'm not sure there is any hard evidence on this. Currently I'm loving my iPad Pro, the combination of the keyboard and pencil has made this a really great experience for me so far. The only issue that I'm having is charge time, not battery life, charge time.

I'm getting around 8 hours of battery which is fine with me, it lasts a full work day even while connected to the keyboard. With extensive use of ProCreate or AutoDesk Graphic the battery seems to drain a little faster. I'm sure this isn't the Pencil that's using more battery but the intesiveness of processesing those apps require.

If I don't charge it overnight, there are times where it's dying at 4-5pm. It's 4.5 hours to fully charge it with the 12w adaptor that is included with the iPad. Has anyone used the 29w adaptor for the MacBook with the USB-C to Lightning adaptor. Are the results any better?

2. cforster macrumors 6502

Am I crazy or does the Macbook charger take USB-C, thus not allowing you to use it? I guess you can use a converter? I'll try and report back.

3. 1738 thread starter macrumors newbie

There is an adaptor from USB-C to Lightning in the box to the Pencil, I was thinking this could be used to charge the iPad as well...

4. ZMRoach macrumors regular

ZMRoach

I think the adapter you're thinking of is the Lightning male to female adapter, so you can use a Lightning cable to charge your Pencil.

5. 1738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good call, I totally wasn't thinking. There are a number of USB-C to Lightning chargers on Amazon, does anyone know whether a 29w brick and a USB-C to Lightning cable would speed up charging times?

6. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Someone tested this and they said the charging times do not change. iOS devices only pull the amount of power they are designed for.

7. 1738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not all iOS devices...There are plenty of tests showing that the iPhone 6 and newer will pull the full 10w (or may have been 12w) from an iPad brick and therefore charge faster.

8. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

They are designed to be used with the 10/12w chargers, even if they aren't included in the box.

9. 1738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly, which is why am curious If the iPad Pro was designated to work with the 29W adapter that Apple is selling

10. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

As I stated in the first post, someone tried it (I think from 9to5mac) and said it didn't make a difference.

11. 1738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right. I saw that. Do you have a link? I haven't been able to find any relevant information on this documented anywhere. Not saying you're wrong, would just like to read the article.

12. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

The MacBook charger is the same amperage. Just higher voltage. There's no extra power available without a proper USB-C connection. (Which even if the Pro is capable of accepting, you won't get without a real USB-C to lightning cable that is correctly wired as such.)

13. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Not possible. You need special circuitry to charge something at USB-C 29W speeds. I agree that the charging times are abysmal, because the iPad Pro's battery is essentially identical to that of the retina MacBook.

Frankly I think they should have included a USB-C port on the iPad Pro. It makes more sense if the Apple Pencil had a USB-C male connector - charging options would suddenly become far more numerous (e.g. USB-C female port from upcoming battery packs, or really most power adapters utilizing separate USB-C to USB-C male cables).

14. 1738 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware that it was the same battery as the MacBook. With that said, this definitely leaves more to be desired in regards to charging time. Hopefully when we have an actual USB-C to lightning cable it will make a difference. Seems like a very slim chance though.

15. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Sorry, to be more precise I meant battery capacity. The iPad Pro has a 38.8Wh battery, whereas the retina Macbook has a 39.71Wh battery, pretty much the same size. To contrast, the iPad Air 2 has a 27.62Wh battery - the iPad Pro's battery is 40% larger.

16. 1738 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for clarifying. Here's to hoping a USB-C to Lightning cable makes a difference.

17. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I tried it. It doesn't go any faster. It was on a post in here the other day. RMB with usb adaptor to iPad pro is no faster. Can't remember the exact figures.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Correct, it's a lightening male/female adapter

19. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes, the new cable makes all the difference.