How does 2gb DDR3 RAM sell on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by realchimera, Sep 3, 2011.

1. realchimera macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting 2x4gb sticks for my Macbook. I see those 2gb RAMs selling for ~22 dollars ebay. Will people actually pay that much money for it? If so, isn't it almost free upgrade from 4bg to 8bg?

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

I think 20 bucks is reasonable, maybe 15. And you can't upgrade a white Macbook to 8 GB, it supports up to 4.

3. AdrianK, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

Not well, I'm afraid. I don't think any DDR3 Macs came with anything less than 2GB (2x1GB), so it's not an upgrade for any macbook user. Also there's the fact that 2x2GB modules are pretty cheap, especially when used. Really, no one wants it because they have no need for it.

I watched a pair of 1GB sticks on ebay, and even with a starting price of $4.50 they didn't move. I'm ready to chuck mine in the bin.

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

That depends on which white macbook he has. If its the unibody one (which im pretty sure it is, because older ones didn't have DDR3 RAM ) then it support 8GB. Apple just never gave people the option for 8 only 4.

5. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I looked into selling mine, but figured after ebay have had their cut, I'd have nearly enough to cover the postage. Instead I put them in my work laptop - now Vista sort of almost works!

6. realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

I have a Macbook pro, not Macbook. I think ram up limit is 8gb not 4gb

----------

Why you try to use Vista? It's a failed product, and it's only good at eating rams

7. The-Pro macrumors 65816

OHHHH, you have a MacBook Pro, well no one knew that as you just wrote Macbook in your original post.
    yes the max is 8GB, the max for the white unibody and aluminium macbooks was also 8GB

8. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

It's not by choice! I have to use my work-provided laptop for work. They tend to be a bit behind the curve. I got this brand new Vista laptop two months ago - yes, brand new, even though Vista isn't sold any more, my work still gets it direct from Microsoft. It took them until the day before Windows 7 was released to update the internal systems to work with Vista, and i don't expect to see Windows 7 until 8 is released!

Still, it's a better than the XP one I had before, which had Internet Explorer 6, which barely works - I had to run Firefox Portable off a USB stick to use many of our intranet pages. Of course I don't have Admin rights, so I can't install any software. The one before that I kept for 7 years - it was running Windows 98 when it was new, in 2001, and still 98 in 2008 when I finally managed to kill it. Panasonic Toughbooks are tough!

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I'd recommend listing them as free on craigslist. Better someone gets use of them than they go to waste! :)

10. realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh....if it won't sell at all, then why it's still listed around $21 for every seller ebay?

11. KOZOK macrumors member

Lots of stuff is listed on ebay for prices it will never sell for. I recently bought a digital camera on ebay, got a fair price, but the same camera was available from a dozen other sellers for $20-50 above retail. I don't know why this is. The best way to get rid of something you don't want on ebay is to start it off at 99¢ and charge actual shipping on top of that. Sometimes it isn't worth your time, sometimes it is. If you don't want to play the game,
    This is the better option.

12. realchimera, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

Well, isn't ram the same for PC and Mac laptop? They are both 204 pin DDR3. If it is true, 2gb is still good for PC laptop upgrades. Since PC eats less rams than Mac does, many PC laptops may still have 2gb default RAMs

13. KOZOK macrumors member

Well yeah but that doesn't really have anything to do with anything. You can list ram for as much as you want but it doesn't mean someone will buy it regardless of "how much rams their computer eats" or whatever.