How does 3.1's new "Genius Mix" differ from a Genius Playlist?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by XciteMe, Sep 30, 2009.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

Hey guys I still haven't updated to 3.1 because of all the complaints and issues associated with it, but I was curious about one feature I'm missing out on... How does the new Genius Mix any different than an automated Genius Playlist that is made when you turn on Genius on your iPhone???

Genius just collects up to 25 songs by different artists in the same genre... What does Genius Mix do differently?

Thanks to anybody who answers me... I'm just curious, that's all. :)

2. XciteMe thread starter macrumors 6502

For christ's sake, 50 people clicked this and not ONE answer to help a guy out.

Can somebody please answer my question?

3. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

I've actually been wondering this myself... From what I can tell, it makes some sort of playlist based on each genre and randomly shuffles through the songs. Every time I have selected a certain "mix" it has given me different songs, so there is some method of randomly choosing songs.

Genius Playlists, on the other hand, are based on individual songs and what you listen to most frequently. I hope this helps... I don't think much is known about these new Genius Mixes yet, as all we can really do with them is click "play" and see what happens.

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features/genius.html

Google is your friend. Basically you end up with these 12 Mixes which are all genre based eg I've got one which is "Alternative and Punk Mix based on music by Modest Mouse, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers and others" I click it and it just plays a seemingly endless playlist of music similar to that produced by those artists.

I like Genius Mixes a lot more than Genius playlists. I listen to my music on shuffle a lot but often only want to listen to a certain type of music on shuffle, which is what Genius Mixes lets you do.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Basic explanation:
    Genius Playlist is limited to the number of songs you set for that play list. Usually this is 25 songs but can be changed to like 50 or 75.

Genius Mix is a non-stop playlist of like songs that is continuous. Its not limited.

6. Gringcorp macrumors newbie

So, how does a Genius Mix differ from just going to a particular genre and shuffling songs?