How does a 3rd party SSD affect Apple's warranties?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by collegembp, May 7, 2010.

1. collegembp macrumors newbie

Does anyone with experience have anything to say about this? I'm afraid that if i install my own SSD and something unrelated goes wrong with the macbook pro in the future, apple will point to the 3rd party SSD and tell me that it's my own fault. If it is, that's one thing, but does installing a 3rd party SSD waive some of Apple's coverage?

2. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

as it's "allowed" to change hdd and ram by yourself, no problem at all.

3. Reapur macrumors regular

According to Apple the Hard drive, and RAM in your computer is "user replaceable" and will not void the warranty on the entire machine. If in the process of changing the hard drive or ram you damage something else then you will not be covered.

If the new HD or RAM fail due to defect, you will have to get that 3rd party to warranty that specific component. A HD will not damage the rest of the computer unless you physically damage something during the swap process.

So dont worry, you putting in a SSD/HD your self will not void the warranty of the machine.

If in doubt just call Apple and ask them, they are obligated to tell you exactly what you can and can't do with your computer.