How does a Mac and a PC work if I need to share some document files?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macbook88, Aug 15, 2013.

1. macbook88 macrumors newbie

I understand they run a different system and Windows run a NTFS storage while Apple runs a Journal storage. What if I do editing for photoshop like pictures on my Apple and then I need to transfer it over to my PC to print it out? I just don't understand what if I need to put a USB into my Mac then transfer it over to my PC if it's not compatible. But somehow it would be compatible if uploaded online through email but would be a hassle to affect my bandwidth. I don't have a Mac but I am planning to grab one but main concern is the compatibility between each other. Can someone tell me how flexible to share the files between each other? Thanks.

2. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Just format the USB to something that OS X and Windows can both read and write to - like FAT.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just use Disk Utility on the Mac to format the USB key to the ExFAT format, which is read/write compatible with both Windows and Mac machines and you will have no problems using that USB key to transfer files back and forth.

4. Swampus, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Just about any thumb drive that you buy will come already formatted MS-DOS (FAT32). If not, then you can do it easily on Mac, Linux, or Windows. Or ExFAT for bigger files. This is really nothing to worry over. You'll be transferring files back and forth before you know it and without even really thinking about it.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This has no bearing on anything transferred over a network.

A TIF is a TIF, a JPG a JPG, a PSD a PSD, a GIF a GIF, a PNG a PNG and any other image format (with some limited exceptions). It doesn't matter if it's on a Mac or a PC. Photoshop understands all of those image formats.

Who said there was no compatibility? Macs have been able to read PC disks since the early 90s, if not before.

Why are you making this more difficult for yourself than it has to be?

It's not about Mac/PC compatibility. On a network both Macs and PCs use industry standard protocols such as CIFS or SMB to communicate. Compatibility comes in the form of the programs you run on your computers. Manufacturers and developers work hard so that there is no cross platform problems. Photoshop on PC will open image files made on a Mac and Photoshop on Mac will open image files made on a PC. It's really not as big a deal as you are making it out to be.

Hook the Mac up to your network. Turn on file sharing on your Mac, turn on file sharing on the PC. Connect from whatever computer you want and transfer. Simple.

Or just transfer via USB as has already been mentioned. Macs will read FAT, FAT32 and NTFS disks. To write to a directly connected NTFS disk install NTFS-3G on the Mac. If you want, you can also install MacDrive on the PC to read Mac disks directly.

6. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

This. ^^^^^

well written, and easy to understand answer.

great job eyoungren, careful or they will cover you with sticky goo and copy everthing you say!

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks, I'll try to be careful! :) :eek:

8. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

i dont know about you, but i have had very bad experiences with ExFAT. I formatted 2 drives in ExFAT, and then they got corrupt and I could not copy anything to the disk anymore...

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have never had a problem with ExFAT and I have not really noticed reports of problems in the forums. :confused:

10. macbook88 thread starter macrumors newbie

What about external hard drive? If I want it to be able to use on Windows and Mac, vice versa. What format would I have to format into for both platforms to read/write? I kept hearing that you will have to format the drive if the system detects if something is not compatible and requires to be format.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you use an external, format it FAT32 on the Windows machine. Macs can read/write natively to FAT32 drives.

Alternatively, install NTFS-3G on the Mac. Format the external as NTFS on the Windows machine. You can then read/write NTFS when you plug the drive in to the Mac.

I'm curious though. Is there anything that's preventing you from plugging an ethernet cable into the back of the Mac and hooking the other end of that ethernet cable into your network? Or if you're running a wireless network only and the Mac has an Airport (wireless) card what's stopping you from putting the Mac on the network?

Why do you want to use media for transfers when you can open and save files residing on either computer from another computer over a network?

12. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Just format it once and you're done. The same advice above applies. You're over-thinking this. You're not going to have the problems that you're expecting.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Still ExFAT. You can use FAT32 as mentioned, but it has a 4GB file size limitation you may run up against. For this reason I prefer ExFAT.

14. macbook88 thread starter macrumors newbie