how does a Network HDD works?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LeandrodaFL, Nov 6, 2011.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Hello all, Im trying to get this to work with a Mac:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...OR7O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320587434&sr=8-3

I conected it using a ethernet cable to the network port on my macmini, I was specting it to work like any other external hard drive, but it doesnt.

Firstly, it doesnt appear on "devices" in the finder, but it "shared". Moreover, I can drag and drop to the drive, only to specific folders in it. In addition, I cant use Time Machine with the drive, of format. To make things worse, I cant even rename the drive or give a specific icon to it.

I need help. Is it possible to make it work as a regular hdd?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Not really. This drive is emulating a "server" on the network with a drive attached to it. The real point of this product is to stick it on the network so that multiple computers can all share the drive to drag and drop files. If you're only plugging it into one computer, then it's really not being used for its intended purpose.

You won't be able to format it because you can't format a network drive. It's not supported for Time Machine use because it's probably emulating a Windows server.

If you want a supported external drive to use for Time Machine, this isn't the appropriate product.

3. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

It will not simply work as a standard USB hard drive.
    Have you configured it yet using the web interface?

It will work with Time Machine, in the manual it will tell you the login details to use so it works.

You should also be able to rename it, modify folders etc... from the web based configuration.

Though regardless it will appear under Shared as it's a network drive.

4. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Thanks for the replies. After testing with it, I found the interface to be insanelly slow. Obviously, the only benefit of this product is the shared feature, wich I may not find many use to it, as all my computers are next to each other, and I have a large USB flash drive.

I bet this product must be great for companies, all computers in all 10 floors could share files using it.

But its not for me, Im selling it. What a waste of a beautiful enclosure....