How does Adobe Updater work?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kkamin, May 31, 2009.

1. kkamin macrumors member

I recently purchased a used macbook and the previous owner left a copy of Photoshop CS 4 on there for me (I don't know if that is kosher or not). But I'm planning on buying the entire Creative Suite by next year, but it is a perk for me to have access to Photoshop for the time being.

I'm paranoid about losing access to Photoshop though, so I never update it with the Adobe updater for fear of it asking me for the serial # or it sensing a different IP or whatever it could do. But last night I allowed it to update the updater. Everything works fine still. I just allowed it to update itself, the actual updater program.

So i have a few questions:

1. Can people legitimately sell a mac with third party software still on the machine, such as Adobe Photoshop in my case?

2. When I allowed Adobe Updater udate itself from 6 version 6 to 6.0.2, did it talk to Adobe at all with regards to Photoshop, or is that too far of a stretch?

3. If I allowed the Updater to update Photoshop, would it check the serial # or anything at that point, or was the initial installation all there is to liscensing?

I'm asking this out of curiosity and because if I am in flagrant violation, I'd rather not be using the program. I'm paranoid about this type of thing too.

Thanks!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

1) yes, if they include the original discs as well
    2) quite possibly, wouldnt be surprised
    3) very likely

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It will do all of the above. Adobe allows their software to be installed on two different machines. You will run into problems as soon as the rightful owner tries to install it on his 2nd machine. When he sees it wont work he will no doubt call Adobe and you will be found out. So to speak.

I'm not going to pass judgement but I'd remove the app.

4. kkamin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to spring for the programs early. I don't want to worry about stupid things like this.

5. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

The updater will not contact Adobe about whether the product is already registered - the programs do. So all you have to do is open Photoshop and it will tell you that it has been registered to another machine.