How does Air screen compare to late '08 aluminium MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kiranmk2, Dec 4, 2016.

1. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

My late '08 aluminium MB is starting to get a bit too slow for my liking. It's had an upgrade to 8gb and an ssd so not much more can be done. The new MBPs are a bit too expensive for me in the U.K. So I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand Air for the next 2-3 years. One thing that keeps coming up is the screen quality of the Air. I know it doesn't have a Retina display, but I am trying to find some opinion on how it would compare to my MB. At the time I remember both the Air and the aluminium MB had worse screens than the MBP, but I don't know how they compared to each other. Has anyone had both these machines? If the Air is the same as my current MB it will be good enough for me.

2. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

It's about the same as what your currently looking at. Remember you have the 2 week trial also.

3. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

Since I had to ell my 2009 macbook I too am using an old (2007) aluminium macbook but a pro.

I am looking at buying an air 11" i5 8GB 256GB.
    I have seen both side by side the quality is about same.

the air I'm looking at is almost same res as the 2009 macbook I sold so will be ideal and more portable for work.

4. monkeybongo macrumors member

I just made the same upgrade you are looking at ... 2008 MB to a used 2013 MBA. The viewing angles and colours on the MBA are slightly worse but the better screen resolution is well worth it!

5. kiranmk2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

That's about what I thought. Does the increased resolution make up for the poorer quality? Do you even notice the poorer quality day-to-day or do you have to look for it?

One thing that might affect me a bit now I think of it is the MBA bezel is silver and the 08 uMB is black, which seems to make the screen look better (I think the same thing about iPhones and iPads - always black)

6. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

U see it especially while watching movies or pictures. The vertical viewing angle is very sensitive to color, temperature and brightness shift. I would say you have here +/-5 degrees where it is almost stable. In fact it is never:(

The increased resolution helps with text but not for media...