How Does Airport Express Play with iOS4.2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Sep 18, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Simple questions here, I don't mean to do a whole huge thread on the matter here.

I have an airport express and an simply wondering how airport express plays with the new iPad update set to come in two months. (btw, I thought subconsciously November was next month and when I realized this I got solo pissed)

Primarilly two things...am i correctnto presume that the new update will allow for airprint with my airport express just like that? The moment I get the new update?

And in terms of airplay...the iPad will only be able to stream musicnot video...like say I was playing Shaun of the dead on the iPad, the sound from the movie won't be allowed to transfer to the speakers connected to my airport express right? And if this is true, that means that only music from the iPod in the iPad will steam over? What about pandora like apps?

2. gatearray macrumors 65816

Airport Express works great with 4.2

Here is a list of existing compatible apps from a front page MR article yesterday. Basically anytime you see the player interface with volume and playback controls, there is also an added icon for sending the audio to your AE instead. Watch Netflix on your iPad and stream the audio to your home stereo-- it's pretty awesome!

Every standard iOS audio/video playback interface in Beta 4.2 now shows an AirPlay button that allows you to stream audio to an AirPlay enabled device. Forum user spimp31 successfully (audio) streamed the following apps from his iPad to his Airport Express:

- Safari (videos embedded from YT and Vimeo, audio files)
    - YouTube
    - Netflix
    - Videos
    - iPod
    - BBC News
    - MLB

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Videos! YouTube!

That is beautiful.

I can't help but now wonder why the iPad can stream video audio to my AE but movies in my iTunes on my MBP can't .

4. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Weird, movies in iTunes stream audio to my Apple TV just fine (and did before iTunes 10 as well). I wasn't aware that that didn't work with the Airport Express? Or maybe it's movies with 5.1 audio or something? I don't see why it wouldn't work.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Yeah I don't think AE has ever allowed audio from movies to be transferred from iTunes. I think apple's reason being that the time delay would be too great for anyone to watch a movie with the audio coming out of AE...being out of sync,,.

Which is why I'm befuddled considering it seems that the iPad will be allowed to do this.

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Just like when playing music with AirPlay on iTunes, it pauses the audio/video and syncs the audio timing for both devices this way there is no delay at all. Have you never enabled your iTunes to output audio from your computer and the AirPort express at the same time? If you choose "multiple" from the AirPlay drop down box, you can output to both at the same time, and it syncs the audio up for both of them so that there is no delay at all. Works the same with the audio in videos played back, even in iTunes (like I said, it is odd that you can't do audio streaming to your AirPort express for videos played in iTunes, it works just fine with my 1st gen Apple TV).

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I keep trying to use the airport speakers and also both speakers on the airport and mbp at the same so I can strwam audio from an itunes movie but it doesn't work.

I could've sworn no one had ever been able to do this; to stream movie audio sound to their airport connected speakers from an itunes movie in a MacBook.

8. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Here is a screenshot of it working fine with a video I am playing iTunes. Notice that "Apple TV" is highlighted with the AirPlay logo in the corner of the screenshot showing that I have audio output to the Apple TV.

[​IMG]

9. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I can imagine AppleTV supporting this feature but have never come across it working with anyone with an AE. hopefully someone with one can verify that it does or doesn't work.

If it does work then I can finally stream a movie only mbp loudly to speakers to my AE to the kids huddled around watching Toy Story and I can be in peace with my iPad all alone. :D