How does an AirPort Express work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by L T, Feb 24, 2013.

1. L T macrumors 6502

L T

Hello all

First post on here!

I have just moved bedroom's in my house and the WiFi strength isn't as good as my old room. My router is in an extension so has to come through an originally external wall. I was looking at buying an AirPort Express to boost my WiFi range, until I went into the Apple store. I was told that to be able to repeat my network I would have to plug an ethernet cable into the back of the Express.

I thought I would just be able to plug the AirPort Express into the mains within range of my current router (Sky Broadband router) and it would pick up the signal and repeat it.

Am I right or are the Apple guys right?

Thanks for any help given!

2. smellalot macrumors 6502

The Apple guy is right. Apple Airport devices only work with each other. So either get an ordinary wifi extender (cheaper that Airport Express) or another Airport Router and use that as your main wifi access point (expensive). Or run a cable (cheapest).

3. Adams Apple macrumors newbie

Wow. I had assumed the same functionality OP presumed. What's the point of an Airport Express at all, then?

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You do not need to hook up an ethernet cable for the AE to extend. It can extend your WiFi using wireless.
    Just got one today to boost my signal outside.

5. aristobrat, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

aristobrat macrumors G5

Airports/Time Capsules can wirelessly extend a wireless network only if the other routers are all Airports or Time Capsules.

Since your wifi is from a non-Airport/Time Capsule, you can't use the Express to wirelessly extend it.

6. smellalot macrumors 6502

Streaming music wirelessly?!?!

It's also Apple's cheap Wi-Fi AP. And it can wirelessly wake your Mac. Which I find great.