How does Aperture Process?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by garycurtis, Jan 16, 2014.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

Does it rely on the CPU alone. Or the CPU? Or both?

Does it take advantage of intel chips that processes threading?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I believe that it relies on both.

I would expect that because it has to keep showing previews generated on changes to the master file that a fast gpu would help that. And making changes such as applying filters or developing RAW files would also benefit from a fast CPU. Whether a faster CPU or GPU helps more than the other, I dunno. But I'd be interested to find out.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just bought Aperture a week ago, so your post prompted me to go on a Google crusade to find the answer to this.

I know OS X uses OpenCL to take advantage of GPU processing power for applications. But I get conflicting results when searching to learn if Aperture supports OpenCL. There are quite a few posts saying it does, and some saying it does not. I don't see anything authoritative from Apple really answering the question though. :confused:

4. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

I posted the same question on the Aperture Support forum on the Apple.com website. So far everyone is ignoring.

The two primary website monitors are incredibly savvy. One lives in Germany, the other in Philadelphia. This is the second question I've posted this week. With no response Perhaps I should use breath mints. :)