How does Apple allow something like this?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Bahroo, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Bahroo, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014

Bahroo macrumors 68000

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'm sure I read else where that it requires more information than that article is letting on in order to perform the hack.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I think OP is under the impression that you can just buy this application and go hacking iCloud accounts.

4. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

What Gav2k said.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/18/Elcomsoft-phone-breaker-icloud-two-step/

Basically, similar to the report a few months back from some security firm about your phone is "in danger". With the security firm's report, they found that if a bad guy can copy the "escrow" keys off a computer or the mobile device management profile from a company server, AND the phone and bad guy are on the same network, then they can scrape data. But that was pre-iOS8, so, lots of the stuff is now encrypted, can maybe still get at the metadata for the filesystem (eg. filename, size).

This company also has a module where they can brute force a PIN-style passcode on the phone, with the caveat it's jailbroken.

5. Bahroo thread starter macrumors 68000

No , i just didnt read entirely clearly, I read the whole entire article and know it asks you that you need apple id/password but i was a little confused on the key part, i didnt know they needed access to your computer/laptop aswell, which makes it alot harder to do

Obviously you cant just buy this software and go around hacking lol, otherwise there would of been countless reports over the years of it occuring.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

Why doesn't this fall under the dcma? seems like other stuff that's far less nefarious is covered?

7. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

A Russian software company is not bound by American copyright law.

8. I7guy macrumors G5

Right didn't realize, but the U.S. could ban the import...won't happen, just saying.