How does Apple authorize applications, or block it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Adamsappel, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Adamsappel, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014

Adamsappel macrumors regular

We are new to Apple and bought an iPhone 5, 5S and MBP less than a year ago, or as recent as November 2013, yet already much of the sync-ability is gone.

We sadly divorced from Nokia thus also Windows, because Lumia is not supported by Nokia Suite.

The purpose of this post is to a) clarify how safe it is to use third party applications without the risk of Apple negating it and b) what third party solutions can still be found, be it free or paid apps.

We bought Apple for local sync ability because broadband is not available to us, same as about the bulk of the global Internet population. iCloud services including sync functionality therefore is mostly impossible. Using iCloud sync where users are stuck with GPRS/Edge or, alternatively, insanely expensive data services, is a real nightmare. Then there is a problem with signal availability. 3.5G+ is only available in major centres on three continents and even then, it is not always reliable. Users should have the choice to decide whether to use local sync or the iCloud.

For example, Africa has roughly 1 billion people and a 15,6% internet saturation. This number is growing at a whopping rate of 3,600%. Three thousand six hundred per cent. Most of these users are relatively poor and cannot afford dearly expensive 3G/4G/LTE. They make use of 2G mostly and even then they have to only use the Internet when it really is necessary, so as to keep it being affordable. Mobile phones are being used mostly for Mixit, Whatsapp, BBM and WeChat. Of course, we are all dreaming of fast LTE and cloud services that will be making our lives easier, yet it remains evasive. People do not understand the vast distance and areas involved, and I am posting a link here to put Africa, for example, to give you some perspective. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...inent-big-China-India-US-Europe-together.html

Now imagine the enormous cost of erecting infrastructure and then to recoup it from a user base. Africa, parts of Australasia, Oceania and South America all suffer from the same problems and it even is evident that some European users are being affected adversely.

Apple, Nokia and Blackberry are losing market share very fast and especially Apple and Nokia are antagonising their loyal user base by not realising how these millions of people live and work. Samsung is taking Africa by storm and especially dual-SIM units sell as fast as it can be imported. Most users in developing nations need two or three mobile phones each to have signal from the various service providers, as that obviously is another variable to factor into the equation.

In the past, Apple had removed iSync and it is impossible to install/run it under Mavs. Already iSync cannot even be installed since ML as Apple won't allow it. Same with LibreOffice which works much better than its daddy OpenOffice, yet we cannot install it. And herein lies the point: if Apple denies Sync-Mate in future, we're stuck. And it can be expected after reading the article below and similar ones.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/macvisionaries/IdPiXSDTGgw

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11...ntact_syncing/

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1225375

Can Apple therefore also flag the remainder of 3rd party sync apps as "untrusted" and disallow use of those? Should we rather return to Windows for this functionality?

A request: Comments welcome but please keep it to the point, constructive and let us find solutions together. Please do not even ask "why do you not want to use cloud services" as that would expose your lack of understanding of the global computing environment and that you have not read my post attentively.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Both Libre Office and Open Office will work in Mavericks. I think what may be confusing you is Apple's Gatekeeper (link) technology that attempts to control what apps can be run on OS X. Read it over at the Apple Support link I provided. You can for example install Libre Office by just right clicking and selecting open and it will bypass the Gatekeeper restrictions.

So any app that supports Mavericks can be run this way. The issue you may have is if an app relies on a built in underlying system like sync, and an OS update takes that away, you are left looking either for another aftermarket sync solution or an update to the one you were using.

3. Adamsappel thread starter macrumors regular

So, if I buy and install Sync-Mate, could Apple remove the underlying service and negate the app's usage?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think that should be a concern as much as OS changes will require an update to Sync-Mate so if you wanted to update your OS, you might not have a working version of Sync-Mate for a bit.

I see here they have a test version in the works that does support Mavericks.

5. Adamsappel thread starter macrumors regular

6. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I have a bit of difficulty understanding what exactly is your question. Regarding what I perceive as a question on iCloud sync: Have you considered syncing your iPhones via iTunes? It is possible to use an MBP and an iPhone together without using iCloud at all. You can also transfer files between the devices using iTunes or 3rd party apps, although that process is a bit more cumbersome than if using iCloud.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe the OP's issue is they do not have consistent Internet access, so iCloud sync is not an option, and the local sync with iTunes you described is gone since Mavericks, so OP was exploring other sync options such as Sync-Mate.

8. Adamsappel thread starter macrumors regular

Weaselboy is correct. And I am not alone as it affects about two thirds of all global internet users. They dont post there problems as they cannot access forums like this.

So please read my posts with due attention and spread the word that this is a crime against millions voiceless humans being left behind by the elect few.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Check out this article from today. Looks like local sync is coming back.

10. Adamsappel thread starter macrumors regular

Sync-Mate

We need to wait for sync to return to iTunes, it seems.

Baikal server and 7.1 have issues.
    iCloud contacts sync has issues
    iCloud calendar sync has issues
    iOS 7.05, 7.06 and 7.1 have wifi sync issues
    Sync-Mate corrupted my system so badly that I required a full system restore.

I am now syncing my contacts & notes via Google. And now my Apple orchard is happy.

Aaaah!! Why did we buy Mac?

Because we did not want to use Google.