How Does Apple Encode Movies on iTS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by soLoredd, May 30, 2007.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I'm curious if anyone knows how Apple encodes their movies they have on iTunes Store? They are able to get great compression without much loss in the way of quality, plus they are able to add chapters to their movie files. Is there an app we can use to do the same or is it all proprietary?

Also, are the movies encoded for AppleTV and scale to iPod or what?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The iTMS movies are encoded in H.264. As for your other question, it might interest you to know that Apple produces some pretty good movie editors.

3. soLoredd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I realize the brilliant apps Apple has designed over the years for editing but what I don't know is what app they use or how they use it. I'd like to be able to put chapter markers and such in my movie files the same way Apple does it for iTS. They also are able to put in ratings for movies (R, PG-13, etc) but I haven't seen or found an option for that.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Check out Lostify for the tagging, encoding of course depends on access to the best possible source material.

B

5. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

lostify is great, but i hate that it has to produce a whole new file of the movie. is there a way to add tags without having to make a whole new file?