How does apple get traffic data on maps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by AlphaVictor87, Oct 11, 2012.

1. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I figure this is a simple answer, but i couldn't find one anywhere.

Do i need to have my maps app open in order to be "contributing" my data as far as traffic is concerned with maps?

I would assume its yes, but i was wondering if anyone knew for sure.

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

No you don't. You do need to have the "Traffic" option enabled in Location Services (Privacy>Location Services>System Services). Then, when you're out and about AND your device is plugged into a power source, you should see the little GPS arrow come on in the status bar. I think it takes a little while to turn on.

Regards,
    Tom

3. Brazuca macrumors regular

Not sure what the default is, but you need to have an option toggled to "on" for the arrow to show on certain system services:

settings>privacy>location services [scroll to bottom]>system services [scroll to bottom] "Status Bar Icon".

4. Edslunch macrumors member

I've noticed that my city is showing much more traffic lately including orange lines for the first time. I assume this is due to increased numbers of users as the conditions haven't really changed.

5. AlphaVictor87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Awesome, thats good to know, but didn't know i needed to have it plugged in as well. Guess i can start charging it on the way home and to work and see if i can "help" a bit.

Thanks!

6. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

And I'm sorta pretty sure about that, but the last I looked into that was a year ago (which invokes poor memory) and under iOS 5 (which means it could have been changed). I turned off the option back then because I didn't see the use, but things are different now as you point out.

Regards,
    Tom

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The traffic option on Maps is horrible. Better to use Google Maps web app.

8. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

That doesn't preclude you from contributing data to Apple, which may help them in producing a better app (i.e. the subject of this thread).

Regards,
    Tom

9. Statelymwhite macrumors regular

I'm not on iOS6 yet. I'm wondering if it's possible to send speed/location data even without the Maps app open. I'd be fine in sending such data every 5 seconds or so as long as I'm on an actual road. In the background would be perfect (set it and forget it) and would allow for a much bigger pool of users.

10. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

It makes sense that it would need to be connected to a power source or it could take traffic readings when you're on foot.

11. Brazuca macrumors regular

I haven't seen any document stating how traffic data gets sent. Only when it's plugged in? Only when you are moving? Only when you have navigation on?

Can anyone post a link?

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

google maps is the worst on traffic. i used to use it and would always end up in bumper to bumper.

then i discovered Waze and that all ended. Waze is a partner for apple maps and that's how they get traffic data

----------

probably when navigation is on

the traffic is via Waze and that sends location/speed data to a server and depending on your road it will show you if there is traffic or not.

13. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Someone has to be in the bumper to bumper traffic in order for data to be sent back.:D

14. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Oooh, good idea. They should send bad traffic info to 1% so the other 99% get good data.

Regards,
    Tom

15. Brazuca macrumors regular

Kinda reminds me of this

A-minus-minus

(make sure to hover the mouse over the picture)

16. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I've wondered this too. Probably when navigation is being used.

17. WarEagle16 macrumors member

Waze

I love Waze as well, but I never remember to open it up when I hit the road. By the time I remember I don't feel comfortable fussing with the phone while on the road.

18. dv8r macrumors 6502

dv8r

Wouldn't they be able to apply some predictive analysis on this? I should hope so.

19. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I assumed it was because of the power use -- kinda nasty to use up your battery on something they're not being open and up front about.

Neither have I. If memory serves (and it's poorly at best), last year when I got my 4S I noticed the arrow and figured out it was "Traffic" that was using location services. Maybe back then there was a note about it near the selector in Settings, or else I learned about it here. But I haven't been able to find anything recently.

But I do know, after testing it again last night, the arrow comes on without Maps open, and only if plugged in. It takes 2 or 3 minutes to start though. I assumed it was based on moving GPS position.

Regards,
    Tom