How does Apple handle software releases?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blu101, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Does Apple announce releases like iLife11 months before, and/or offer free updates for those who purchased just before the release date?

Like how MS did with Office for mac11, where anyone who buys Office for Mac08 today or in the recent past automatically gets a free upgrade to Office11?

I put in an order for my 1st mac ever last night and if apple releases iLife11 next month and I have to spend another hundred bucks to upgrade I'm gonna feel bummed out.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Usually, it will ship in 24 hours or few days but sometimes it may ship e.g. later this month (~1 months delay). Nobody knows what Apple will do with iLife '11 though. Same applies to up-to-date promo, nobody knows. I would just buy now, 79$ isn't that much.

3. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

That's what I said to myself last night and pulled the trigger. I wish apple had a lower price for those who are upgrading from a previous version though, that would help. Oh well.

I figured the (rumored) minor speed bump and iLife11 wasn't worth the wait, as I have no computer right now and need one. Now I just hope I won't be bummed out next month if apple releases a bigger "upgrade", all in all.

4. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

It is interesting to know whether Apple offered free upgrades to the new version of iLife in the past (indeed, for those who bought their macs just before the release of a newer version of the suit).

5. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

I'd be most happy if they sold iLife through the iTunes store. I don't often say this, but think of the environment...

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iLife '09 was announced on 6th of January 2009. Macs bought before that were not eligible for 10$ disc, thus if you bought a Mac now and iLife was announced next week, it may not be eligible for the cheap version if Apple does the same they did with '09

8. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Looks like they used a 3 week window, as iLife09 was released on january 27 that year. That's a small window :(

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Released on January 27th, announced on January 6th.

10. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The key, however, is not the release date, but the announcement date. If you buy a Mac (or sometimes a copy of the software) after the announcement date, you were eligible for a "free" upgrade (paying of course the $9.95 shipping and handling). However, if you buy it the day before it's announced, no deal.

jW

12. Blu101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Yeah, I see that trend too, but the way I see it the companies can choose when to announce it, so...announcing something 3 weeks before it's released doesn't necessarily excuse the short period of time for a free or reduced price upgrade window, as they could've easily announced it earlier or offered more time for an upgrade program. I'm fine with it, I'm just sayin.

13. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Yes, fellas. I think the best thing is to wait till the announcement and then to order a new iMac. I think Apple will announce the new iLife suite quite soon.