How does Apple know ? Or are they bluffing...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swimm3r137, Nov 6, 2012.

1. swimm3r137 macrumors newbie

If I were to get my screen replaced by a third party? I broke my 4s screen and 80$ vs 200 is considerable for me. I'd like to hear from a apple employee if possible or someone with factual knowledge that's 100% true. They always say "we'll know" or "if we find out... The warranty is void." Soo... If I had the best person replace the screen perfectly, is there an alarm or trigger that goes off? Or are they just predicting that something noticeable will be out of place ?

2. swervinsuburban macrumors regular

If you take it to your carrier to replace it under warranty their not allowed to take it apart so they wouldn't know.

3. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

They won't take it apart to look at the parts to verify if it's OEM or not. Takes too long. You will be fine.

4. darkside flow macrumors 6502

If you are just replacing the glass privately with no intent to take it back for a further warranty replacement, they're not going to know.

However, I wouldn't doubt that there are mechanisms in place for reporting non-OEM parts during the refurbishing process. Basically they will know you submitted the device under warranty replacement and will be able to void your warranty because of that.

Will they do anything about it after the fact? Who knows. Can they? Most certainly.

5. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

I talked to a genius about this. He told me every single screw on the iPhone is a different size, weight or something else special about it ever so slightly that it will fit in another spot, but they will know it doesn't belong there. Same with macs. I'm sure there's more security issues, but that's one that i was told about.

6. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

When you take your phone in for warranty work other than the screen, if the phone looks OEM and like it has not been tampered with, they will not take the time to remove the screen verify it. It just takes too long and there is no need unless they are suspicious(screen looks strange, etc). Don't worry about it. I did this to an iPod touch and got warranty work no problem.

7. auero, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

auero macrumors 65816

Uh there are ways to tell so I don't know why others are telling you differently? There is a difference between an 80 dollar screen and the original OEM screen. I've seen a customer turned away at the genius bar after they looked at his phone. He played stupid and when he walked away he asked his friend "how did they know?".

I've replaced a screen like this before for a stupid friend who didn't ask for help before ordering it. I hope I can get him to take a picture if he still has it but the screen isn't ask dark as the original. When it's off it doesn't even look black. Yes it did work but it didn't look anything like the original.

8. propalitet macrumors member

Yeah, some of the screens are not as good and you can just notice it immediately, also the grill in the earpiece can look different.

But if you get the original part, no way they will find out unless you damage something.

9. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

We will know....I don't care how good of a job a place does, we can tell.

10. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

If the thing you get done is worth anything they won't know.

11. Tumi 07 macrumors member

They know. About 2 months ago I cracked my screen and got it replaced by a third party. After about a month my phone started acting funny. Sometimes the volume would work and other times it wouldn't. Also, the volume buttons stopped working. So I took it to the apple store since my phone was under warranty. When he came out from the back (after he examined it further) he asked me how long ago did I replace the screen. I was thinking in my head how did he know that, so I told him the truth and said I got it replaced 2 months ago.

It turned out that when they replaced the screen that they messed up something in the process. The phone thought it was in dock mode (or something like that) most of the time. He was very nice and replaced my phone for free. I thanked him and told him next time that if i ever break my screen again (hopefully never again) I will definitely bring it to the apple store. $120 vs $200 might seem like a big difference but I'd rather stick with replacing it at apple and get it done right than risking something going wrong when replacing it at a third party retailer.