How does Apple replace laptops?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nateharr, Apr 2, 2010.

1. nateharr macrumors 6502

I finally put aside my pride and called Apple a few moments ago. My assistant Tiffany was very sweet and the experience was very delightful and positive. She determined that my trackpad's lack of a physical click is a hardware problem and I need to send my laptop to Apple for repair.

She said I should expect a box tomorrow or Monday to send my laptop to Apple.

I also mentioned my hinge is very stiff when my computer gets hot after normal use.

Many people have told me that my issues would probably get me a brand new laptop instead of the same machine refurbished. I honestly don't care. My laptop is my child and I would be happy with either.

My question is, how would Apple decide or notify me of a full replacement? Would they switch over my hard drive? I plan on backing up all my information before sending it.

I just have trouble trusting others with my gadgets, even Apple. I know their customer support is fantastic, and my experience has been positive so far. I am just anxious. This is my first Mac, and I love it. The fewer complications there are, the happier I will be.

Any ACTUAL EXPERIENCE you have with this subject will be very helpful. It seems my posts lately attract sarcastic jerks who make snarky comments without understanding my problem.

Also, about how long did your repair take?

Thanks!

2. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

I recently sent my MBP in for repair. They mindlessly performed all the repairs I had requested plus they replaced one of the RAM modules that must've turned up faulty in their tests. I had originally sent it in because the logic board quit, but when I called I complained that the monitor was rather dim when set next to my other laptop (Dell) and I asked they take a look and replace it if they agreed. They must have agreed because I got my laptop back with new logic board, monitor, and RAM. Their repair facility is top notch in my book. I didn't even think of backing up my data, and my hard drive was replaced by me a couple years ago in favor of a much larger one. They didn't say a word about it. Don't stress. Your laptop will be in very capable hands once FedEx takes it away.

Oh, the repair took a matter of a couple hours, tops. They had it out the door the same day it was repaired and it was in my hands the following day. VERY quick turnaround.

3. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Apple has an unofficial 3 major failures policy. Basically, you need to have 3 major failures, and on the 4th repair they will replace your laptop, if you ask them to replace it. You basically just say that you've lost confidence that its going to keep working, but you love the machine. Sometime you need to call apple executive customer relations to get this done.
    BTW a apple considers a major failure to be: Logic board, hard drive, superdrive, and GPU. there may be a few others but i can't quite remember

4. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, that's cool.

I honestly didn't care if it was replaced or not.

Another question: I was under the impression that I had to send my power adapter in with my computer, but after looking at the diagram for packing the box it doesn't show it. Do I not have to send it in as well?

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

This policy only applies if you own a small number of Apple products. If you have a huge number registered in your name over the years, this policy is waived, and they'll give you a nice 'good customer' speech and replace it immediately. :) This has happened to me several times now.

6. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Same here. If I ever really want my MBP replaces, I just wave my customer record at them, and utter a few passing comments about customer satisfaction. Works like a charm.

7. youssefm macrumors 6502

Well, when I sent my aluminum macbook in for repairs.. apple actually lost the computer xD (Sorry if those aren't reassuring words), but after arguing for a bit, they decided to completely replace and upgrade me to a 13" macbook pro since the macbooks were discontinued (they wanted to give me a white macbook, but then they gave me a choice after I asked).
    Overall, even though it was a bit irresponsible, I still understood and their customer relations department was amazing, and always answered my calls and emails!