How does Apple replace the rMBP battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fimeg, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Fimeg macrumors regular

I have been trying to verify something that was told me about the battery swap. Does apple replace the keyboard, trackpad and the whole main body? Do they take the motherboard out and put it in a new case? Or do they somehow remove the battery and place a new one in?

I only have 512 charge cycles so I at least have another 4-5 hundred. But am curious about this swap.

Thanks!

2. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Yes, on the Retina models, the battery is replaced with complete topcase.

3. iMacC2D, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

So basically if your battery needs to be replaced, you pay like 200 (?) dollar/euro for it, but also get a new Top Case, Keyboard and Trackpad "for free"? In that case 200 doesn't sound that bad I guess. Or am I missing something?

5. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Apple consumers pay the premium. Apple doesn't. Parts like those are cheaper than you might think.

6. ecrispy macrumors regular

The battery costs a lot less than 200. And they make a profit by not allowing 3rd party parts and user upgrades.

7. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

I'm a third year Industrial Product Design student so yes I can imagine those parts are cheap when made in mass production. Still, 200 euro sounded nasty for a battery replacement, but when I know they also replace the Top Case, Keyboard and Trackpad it suddenly doesn't feel like a horrible deal. After 2-3 years, you can basically "renew" a considerable part of your 1500-2500 euro laptop for 200 euro.

I have a "bigger problem" with the price you pay for the laptop itself then the price they ask to replace all this stuff. Again maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't sound that bad. The battery, Top Case, Keyboard and Trackpad together probably cost around 50-80 euro. Add the working hours costs, transportation, etc. And some money for Apple. Still I think 200 isn't that bad.

8. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

1. Do we know for sure the cost will be $200; with all those replacement parts, $200 actually seems pretty low to me.

2. What is the average time in years/months before a battery needs to be replaced?

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

Yes, it's published here (click on the Battery Replacement > How much does battery replacement cost?):

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=Macnotebooks

They don't measure in "years/months" because that's a relative term -- a battery cycle for you may be 4 days, whereas for someone else, it may be once a day.

Like the iPad, Apple's statement for the rMBP battery is "80% capacity after 1000 full cycles."

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

10. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Thank you for the information; $200 is very-very reasonable. I'm thinking that price will go up as batteries actually begin to be replaced in the rMBP's.

I know the battery is measured in cycles, but I was just wondering what the average user has experienced in actual time (years/months)

11. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Edit: Sorry, I had not refreshed the page before starting to answer, ariatobrat already answered the questions :D

The price is on the Apple support site: Service Answer Center - Mac notebooks (Battery Replacement -> How much does battery replacement cost)

Depends on usage. Usually years anyway.

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Guess we'll see. "Non-user replaceable" batteries are relatively new to the Retina MacBook/Pro lines, but Apple's been using them in MacBook Airs since early 2007. The original Airs with these types of batteries are now over seven years old. I haven't seen a preponderance of postings here on MacRumors from owners having the batteries replaced in the Airs. Hopefully the retina models do as well.

13. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Very good point; thank you

14. aristobrat macrumors G5

Actually, I forgot, but it looks like MacBook Pros have had the "non-user replaceable" battery since 2009.

With the retinas, it's glued in and requires the top case to be replaced. It wasn't glued in with the 2009+ non-retina models, but it still wasn't a user-replaceable item.

So I guess there's 5 years worth of those models out in the field, in addition to the 7 years worth of Airs. :)

15. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I'm new to Macbooks, is there a way to find out how many charge cycles your battery has gone through?

EDIT: Nevermind I already found it. Pretty cool that they have it on there for you.

16. Fimeg thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone here had this performed? Can one request to keep the older top assembly?

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No they don't let you keep the older assembly.

In fact you can't even order the part if you don't have the old part (like if the battery was missing you would need to get from a third-party, not Apple).

18. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Here is my little story regarding this topic. My late 2013 Mbp retina was having random unresponsive keyboard and trackpad issues (USB kb+mouse worked) even after the recent update. When it happened to me again I didn't reboot and instead brought it into the apple store (closing the lid for a min didn't fix it).

The work authorization paper description line says "housing, top case with battery" for a cost of $399 Canadian and labor as $39 (cost to me is $0 as I just bought this laptop in November.)

Just an FYI. The current $129 quoted price might be for older models Mbp only.

19. aristobrat macrumors G5

Yeah, for the retina models, Apples website states US$199, CAN$229.

20. Betfair39 macrumors newbie

one more question i have late 2013 rMBP and when it does %100 it gets power from power battery or still using electricity via battery?

21. mafaky macrumors regular

mafaky

AFAIK, if the charger remains connected to the MacBook, the laptop is fed by the external power (charge) and preserving the internal battery power. But it probably keeps on charging the internal battery on "trickle" (very sk-low) charge...

22. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

23. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Daily work usage, I'm coming up to 1000 cycles at just under 4yrs - and still have 90% health reported.