How does Apple verify/test for a failed/failing SSD Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rsg1010, Aug 18, 2014.

1. rsg1010 macrumors member

Anyone know how Apple Tests for failed or failing SSD's that would be covered under apple care?

I have used DriveDX and it says advanced smart status failed (10 issues found). However, when i use disk utility and check smart status it says verified. I have even tried apple's hardware test by holding down command R during startup and it shows everything to be fine.

Anyone have any idea how Apple would indicate a bad SSD drive?

2. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

Apple Hardware Test (press and hold "D" before startup)

Apple Service Diagnostic (you may be able to find your version online)

Apple Service Toolkit (i haven't been able to find the current version online)

Good luck.

3. killerovsky macrumors newbie

Could you please attach DriveDx's drive health report file? (button "Save Report..." or menu "Actions > Save Drive Health Report...")

4. rsg1010 thread starter macrumors member

Here is an attachment of the report from Drivedx

Attached Files:

5. killerovsky macrumors newbie

Hmm, I advice you to contact to DriveDx developer (menu "Help > Send Feedback / Contact Support..."). There are some strange numbers in S.M.A.R.T. report, it looks like there are some incompatibly with your SSD model (SSD is not fully correctly supports S.M.A.R.T. specification) or/and firmware of your SSD reports some strange numbers.

6. rsg1010 thread starter macrumors member

Wow do I feel dumb right now. I just checked my DriveDx and there was an update available. I did the update and ran the test and everything passed. Thank you for your help :)

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

In time all SSD drive may have a problem or two. The SSD firmware is designed to avoid and work around it.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op you'll know if your ssd is starting to die from to many writes as it'll start reducing in size as blocks are marked as faulty.