How does Apple Watch handle step counting when mowing lawn or pushing a cart?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ftaok, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

OK, here's a scenario that I'm interested in.

When I mow the lawn, my Misfit (lost at an amusement park, RIP) rarely counted the thousands of steps that I took. The sync between the Misfit and iPhone's pedometer was not great, so I would keep my Misfit in my pocket while I mowed the lawn.

That's not really a good option for the Apple Watch, so I'm wondering if I wear an Apple Watch and keep the iPhone in my pocket, will the Health app be smart enough to know that I was moving and use the steps that the iPhone records?

I guess this applies to people who walk a lot with a stroller or pushing a cart.

2. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

It should. It has GPS so should know based on changing location and pace that you're walking.

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Like the Misfit, the wrist-worn AW will not count steps well when pushing a cart that stabilizes vertical and fore-and-aft movement. However, if you have the iPhone in your pocket, I am pretty sure that Health figures it out and reconciles the two. It has been a year since I tested this mowing my lawn, so I cannot remember. The only way to know is to test. Since we have a few OS updates since then. The other however is that while this may show up accurately in Health, your steps may not move down through Activity to the AW.

4. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    The phone in your pocket should still register the steps. Easy enough to try and find out.

5. ftaok thread starter macrumors 603

ftaok

The way that the misfit worked with iPhone health was flawed. Lots of steps were double counted, I think because the misfit didn't have a continuous connection with the iPhone.

As for the watch not getting the steps, I'm ok with that as long as the iPhone does.

Thanks for the insight. Looking to get my first apple watch next month.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    Wish I could, but I don't have an Apple watch yet. Waiting for the Nike one

6. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Good choice. I have the series 1 but would like to get my hands on a Nike watch band at some point!