How does Apple Watch know not to calculate me clapping, shaking hands or playing a guitar?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by HappyDude20, Sep 19, 2016.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

considering everyone says the watch is good at calculating my overall daily walking and steps, how is it that Apple Watch know if not shaking my hands for other reasons; whatever the wide variety of reasons may be.

How is it that Apple Watch tracking is so accurate? If it really is. I'm just wondering how accurate is it really if I'm at work and carrying boxes, thereby not swinging my hands but walking .2 miles every 10 minutes.

Or If im at home jamming out air guitaring it. Or at a concert and violently clapping my hands between that 7 minute encore. Or in a 18 person meeting and I shake every individual hand. Etc.

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Apple recommend using the other hand when you're carrying bag.

All these gestures are different than swinging your arm when walking so yes, Apple Watch will know you're not walking. (but it will be counted in calories spent anyway)

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I don't know how you shake hands, applaud, and play the guitar, ...

...but speaking for myself personally, my forearm is pretty much horizontal when I do those things, and hangs mostly downward when I'm walking.

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It is not perfect. Folks write of instances where driving the car counted steps incorrectly. It can miss steps if you are pushing a car or carrying a box, but not always. It can still detect the up & down movement of your stride, even when holding something. It is pretty good. The trackers that seem to do the best are hip mounted or shoe mounted. But, wrist is pretty freakin' awesome.