How does Apple Watch know which contact number?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thatsmyfish, May 17, 2015.

1. thatsmyfish macrumors regular

I have a good friend who has a flip phone and still gets charged by the text. She uses Messages on her macbook for keeping in touch. I have her phone number listed under mobile and her Apple ID/email address listed under home email address. Using the side button my my phone and texting her, it went to the Apple ID, as I'd want it to, and ignored her cell.

But how was that determined?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It resorts to Messages by default and will use text if Messages isn't available.

3. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

So while her email was not an iCloud address or listed as an iPhone, it recognized it as an Apple ID and prioritized it. Got it.

Interestingly enough, I know people who use android phones and have messages on their mac laptops. It sounds like I will have to message them directly and not use the side button or they won't get the messages on their phones?

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The side button uses Favorites from the Phone app. You can specify which you want linked to when you add them to Favorites so, yes, you can still use the side button to text to their mobile number.

5. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

Good point. This one was manually added so I didn't think of it.