How does Applecare registration work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adamvk, Dec 31, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well I kind of waited until the last minute for Applecare....it expires January 9.

Anyways, If I buy it online right not, if it doesn't get here by January 9, is that ok? Do they send you an email or something when you buy it online? And if they didn't is there any kind of grace period?

I could always buy it from the Apple store as there are 3 in a 10mile radius of my house, but they are always packed so I'd prefer to buy online.

Thanks.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No. If you don't register the AppleCare by the 9th, you are SOL. By registering, they tie your hardware to the warranty and outside of the initial purchase, that can only be done with the serial number which comes with the box. Some ebay sellers will email you the serial but if you want to go with Apple your best bet is to go to the store, packed or not.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Actually, correction to the last poster. As long as the invoice which shows the purchase of the AppleCare is within the first year, it can be registered. The degree of difficulty is slightly increased if it's not in place by the 9th (i.e. you cannot register it yourself online per the included instructions), but Apple will either try to locate the record of the purchase based on a receipt database or by requesting that you fax/email the proof of purchase showing that the agreement number was bought within the 1 year limited period.

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yes, but if you buy it off of eBay or some other third party retailers, it becomes much more difficult.

So, buy it now and register it before the 9th - regardless of your purchasing source.

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok Thanks. I'll buy it either tonight or tomorrow.

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok didn't get around to it yet. However can some one please confirm it doesn't matter if I buy it online or not?

Thanks.

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Buy it from a reputable source. The only place you can buy it from without any chance of things to go wrong is Apple. I have bought Applecare off of eBay before, and I've never had an issue.

If you do go the eBay route, pick a trusted seller and one that has thousands of positive feedback on Applecare sales.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I hope procrastination wasn't one of your New Year's resolutions.

Call (800) MY-APPLE and buy it. I bet they can register it for you on the spot.

9. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I just bought it online directly from Apple.

Happy? :)

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Happy is a strong word. Let's say I'm pleased. :D

11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I talked to an Apple employee before purchasing it, and they said once my order was placed I would receive an email containing the serial number so I could register my Applecare. It is 3 hours later, and still no email. How long does it normally take?

I already checked Chase, and they billed me...

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

You should've just went to the store. Packed or not, you would have been in and out in 10 minutes, and you'd be done with this already.