How does AT&T compare to Verizon service around NYC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mambwe, Jul 10, 2008.

1. mambwe macrumors newbie

Currently using a blackberry (Verizon), but I really want to get the new iPhone. I live about 35 minutes outside NYC so I do have 3G coverage in my area. My Concern is call quality and calls being dropped. In the Mossberg reviews he complains about calls being dropped on the West Side Highway in Manhattan. How bad is the AT&T service and how does it compare to Verizon?

Has anyone switched from Verizon to AT&T? If so, How is it?

2. manhattanmania macrumors regular

3. naid macrumors regular

Verizon has good coverage all over, with the occasional hiccup. AT&T works well in and around NYC, but consistently drops in certain spots on the Merrit Parkway going to CT.

4. manhattanmania macrumors regular

short and sweet:

w/ ATT i experienced: tons of dropped calls, spotty service, no service in elevators or in many buildings, no service in my house in CT, no service in my apartment in NYC, no service even one level underground.

verizon definitely rules the northeast and for sure nyc, and anyone who tells you otherwise is silly. you can see in one of the threads i linked you to that if you go and search online, you'll read over and over that ATT is garbage. that's all over the Internet, not just me.

all that being said, i think i'm getting on line tomorrow to get the iphone 3g and if its still as terrible as it was, ill only be paying 1 month service and the restocking fee...

5. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

I live directly across the river in NJ, and I have to say that while AT&T is not perfect, and certainly no carrier is, it's not nearly as bad as a lot of people make it out to be here and other forums on the internet. I have a Blackberry 7100g (I know, a brick, right?) and while I don't get dropped calls, I have noticed my reception gets spotty in the cliffs and on the West Side Highway as mentioned. That said, it's nothing that will keep me from switching to the iPhone tomorrow.

Edit: Also, it should be pointed out, that none of this info was in regard to the 3G network. That may be whole other bag of potatoes, for better or worse.

6. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I wondered if its just here. I have Sprint, which can roam on Verizon. I have never been in an area without coverage.... anywhere in the US. And rarely if ever drop a call.

I'm trying AT&T and coverage is spotty in NC especially towards the coast and pitiful in Virginia.

I was hoping there was somewhere that had decent AT&T coverage. How can they expect to compete if their coverage stinks?

I tried an LG Shine. Its one of the worst reception phones. I swapped for a razr2 v9. Its day/night difference. Works very well in many places the other had no coverage. I'm hoping the iPhone 3G will have decent reception, but Walt's review didn't necessary encourage me.

7. gowanis macrumors 6502

i can tell you that AT&T is lousy in Jersey City. DATA (Edge) is really bad. I wonder if 3G is much better. I'm holding off on the phone upgrade for now.

8. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

Any New Yorker knows that Verizon is the best service in NYC. No comparison.

9. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

I'm getting really tired of people hanging on Walt's every word. So what he writes for the WSJ?? He still knows jack sh*t about technology. His "review" didn't do anything but spit out facts and specs that all of us already do. I am convinced that 90% of us here can do Walt's job 10x better than he can.

10. manhattanmania macrumors regular

well whether or not you respect walt as a reviewer, the point is that he had the iphone 3g and experienced the same crappy service with ATT that the original had. to remedy it? he used a cheap verizon phone.

"One side benefit to 3G is that in some areas, voice coverage improves. At my neighborhood shopping center, where the first iPhone got little or no AT&T service, the iPhone 3G registered strong coverage. But I still found that calls regularly broke up on some major streets. In New York City, riding in a taxi along the Hudson, one important call was dropped three times on the new iPhone. Finally, I borrowed a cheap Verizon phone and got perfect reception."

that's the point. people (like me and the other poster you're referring to) who were hoping the iphone 3g would have better reception bc it's plastic, bc it's 3g, bc the antenna is on top, bc there was an act of god... will find this concerning, because probably, reception is just as crappy as before. it was for walt and it probably will be for the rest of us. we'll find out tomorrow.

and by the way did you even read the review? it didnt only just spit out specs and facts. like i just said, we found out he had crappy service. also, we found out some real battery life figures, not just apple's ratings. we found out plenty that wasn't just specs or facts.