How does att register the iphone if delivered?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quaterbyadime, Jun 13, 2010.

1. quaterbyadime macrumors newbie

So, I don't know how this works when you order the new iphone 4, but when you pickup at att or apple they will open the box for you and register everything for you at their office. So if it was delivered then do I just simply switch sim cards? My wife and I are both eligible for an upgrade. We both plan on upgrading to the iphone 4. My wife is currently using a BB with the BB unlimited data plan. Att says that you can keep your unlimited data even when upgrading, but is that for current iphone users? (Can she switch from BB unlimited data to iphone unlimited data?) My wife is not a big iphone fan and I'm scared she might not like it so I was wondering if I had to sell it... will att allow her to switch back to her old BB or does she have to stick with it since she upgraded?

Thanks

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

If you have it delivered, you register and activate it online through iTunes. It comes with it's own microSIM card. If you buy in store, they activate it in store.

Unlimited data will I'm pretty sure is only if you are a current iPhone user. If you are on unlimited BB data and they make you switch, you will have to switch to 2gb a month plan for the iPhone. Which is actually a lot. 98% of AT&T data users do not go over this.

AT&T will allow her to switch back to her old BB without a problem. You can then sell the iPhone.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Phone is delivered w/ a new micro-sim. That micro-sim is registered in AT&Ts systems and associated with your account.

When you connect to iTunes, it connects to AT&Ts system and checks that association. Your number will display in iTunes. You procede by following the on screen directions and this activates the micro-sim w/ your number.

If you have ANY unlimited smartphone plan, you are grandfathered into the unlimited iPhone plan. During your activation on iTunes, you will be presented w/ several data plans including the $30 unlimited. Be sure to select that plan at that time and all is well.

She should be able to switch back no problem.

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

That's the part I was not sure about, thanks Geckotek.

5. quaterbyadime thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks lorenwade and Geckotek for the quick reply! I was also wondering, what if I got the iphone with the upgrade price and delivered... but I don't open it/register it but, instead just sell it... and continue using the current phone, will att be suspicious or will they dont care? I plan on keeping mines, but my wife thinks she is going to not like it. I would order it for myself only and see if she likes it once mines arrives, BUT if she did enjoy the new 4g then I'm sure I wont be able to order another one because those things are going to be sold out quick so I plan on just ordering both and resell if anything.

Thanks

6. pika2000 macrumors 68030

No, they don't need to open the box. All they need are the 2 barcodes outside the box. You can buy an iPhone from the B&M store and open it yourself at home.

7. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I'm pretty interested in this too...buy one for $200, sell it for $800 or jailbreak it and keep it with no service...not that i would even think about that. I'm just wondering if its possible.

8. pika2000 macrumors 68030

:rolleyes:
    To get the $200 price, you have to sign up a 2-year contract, or extend your existing contract for another 2 years. So even if you sell the iPhone (nobody would want to buy it for $800), you still have to pay at least ~$60 per month for 2 years to AT&T, or pay $325 ETF in addition to the $200 purchase price. AT&T is not stupid. :rolleyes:

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Yes, she can go back to her old phone and you can sell the iPhone if you want.

Last year, Apple wouldn't let you leave without activating...

Yes, if you really wanted to do that, it's in your rights to do so.

10. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Don't get me wrong, I'm going on ATT with the iPhone 4, but how do they enforce the contract?

11. Dan in PA macrumors regular

If you want to sell the phone, you may. However, you still have to either make your monthly plan payment for 24 months or pay the termination fee.

12. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Err, to be approved for a contract, AT&T want your social security number, your info, and they'll do background check. How do they enforce it? Simply by sending it to collection, and it will screw your credit report. :rolleyes: Are you willing to screw up your credit or be harassed by collection just because of a couple hundred dollars phone?
    But hey, go ahead, I'm not your mom.

13. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I think it's standard procedure for them to unbox the phone and activate it since they assume people want a ready-to-use phone by the time they go out from the store. I bought my 3GS last year from AT&T store, and when the lady started to unbox my phone, I told her that I rather do it myself at home, and it's fine.

14. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

What about someone switching from verizon as a new AT&T customer? Can you still order online and have it delivered, or do you need to purchase and activate in the store? Also, what if want to port your phone number but have your iPhone delivered and activated with iTunes? Can you do the number porting through iTunes, or do you have to do that in store?

15. dagored macrumors 65816

For a single line, not a problem. If you are switching like I am with my wife, I was told by both sources, that I must activate at the store to get the Family Plan.

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Easy, they know where you live.... :)

17. CJayC macrumors 6502

Yeah listen to this guy because he's seen the behind-the-scenes photos of the plan selection list for iPhone 4.

18. dave006 Contributor

dave006

New AT&T customer can choose to start the porting process during the pre-order. You will be asked to provide your current phone number and carrier account information. If you pre-order for home delivery, once you activate the iPhone 4 using iTunes, the porting steps trigger. You should be able to make outgoing calls within minutes, inbound call routing will take a little longer as the porting process continues.

Just a reminder: When you port out from your current carrier, your contract may end since the phone number has left the building ... :D and you may have to pay an ETF to Verizon. You can also choose to not port your Verizon number until you have had a chance to test the AT&T network and you have 30 days to complete the port at no additional charge. Just a call to the porting center gets the ball rolling.

Have you verified that your number is available to port, you can use this link to verify: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/

Dave

19. quaterbyadime thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I don't mind going with the 2 yr. extension contract. But if the iphone arrives... can i sell it without opening the package? Will att be suspicious with this act? I find it too easy how someone can simply buy an iphone with the upgrade price and just sell it to make cash on top. If I sell it, will that person be able to receive any of my info when they activate that sim or does that sim not have any info until its registered into itunes?
    Also I was wondering when I order the iphone 4, will att switch my BB data plan automatically to the iphone data plan or will I have to do it manually? I heard it the past that once you register your phone... att will know that your are using the iphone and they will automatically put it on your bill. True?

Thanks

20. Murkurial macrumors newbie

That's what I will be doing. Though I won't be selling it. Just waiting for the unlock before moving overseas (or just doing it while I"m already over there).

Luckily, someone else will still be using my current line (which I'll just be changing the number on) so there won't be any ETF or "paying for a line that I don't use" going on.

I was wondering about the "ATT being suspicious" part as well but I'm pretty sure (both from what I've read and been told) that ATT really doesn't care what you do with the phone as long as you sign up for an additional two years.

As for the buying and selling, or perhaps buying and unlocking, it does seem too easy but I'm not really able to figure out how they can find out. Buying it and never activating it and saying you lost it might seem suspicious but they can't say, "******** you lost your phone..."Say you buy the phone at $200 and you actually did lose it? You have no choice but to go back to your old phone. ATT can't really say whether or not you actually lost it and if you did most people would say "well, you've got a contract that you can't break and no phone. You're **** out of luck." Because it's all about the contract really. It won't a be a "ATT might come after you for the full price of the phone now because it's only been a month and they might suspect some shady dealings going on." That price point is entirely dependent upon signing that 2-year agreement.

21. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Haha, thanks man, but I'm going with AT&T, 2-year contract, and no screwy stuff, promise :D

22. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

We're sure on this? I'm concerned if I want to do home delivery or pick up in store, because I'm affraid keeping my unlimited plan will become an issue.

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes, people close the to the situation have confirmed.

24. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You will know long before you to delivery, your selection(s) is made and confirmed during the pre-order step for an upgrade and even for a new line.

During the pre-order process you will have a chance to select: a voice plan or keep your current one, a new data plan or your current one, any SMS Txt plan... you see a pattern here :D

Just use caution in the data plan selection if you currently have the Unlimited data plan an you want to keep it, You can choose it from the list of available data plans, please make you choice correctly.

Dave

25. buhdussy macrumors newbie

I know this thread is over 6 months old but I have question about a similar scenario. My girlfriend bought me an iphone4 on Monday as a gift from an Apple store without my knowledge and they gave it to her for $199 and I wasn't even there. They never informed her that it would extend my contract or anything. I happened to check my account online on Wednesday and it said that my upgrade date had changed and I was no longer eligible for an upgrade. I called customer service because I was concerned and they said that they saw some sort of activity from an Apple store, but there was no activation. They agreed to restore my upgrade date back to normal and that it could have been a mistake at the Apple store. Fast forward to today, and the phone has arrived. My question is, can I activate the new iphone on itunes without having my contract extended?