How does buying at AT&T work now? Credit check?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powerbook911, Feb 23, 2008.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I was planning to buy another 16 GB phone today, and AT&T is closer to me than Apple. However, does AT&T make you do credit checks before you walk out the door still? I don't want to get my credit check hit again, since I already have an AT&T account and everything. Does anyone know if they still make you do that?

Also, do most AT&T stores appear to have the 16 GB version now?

Thanks.

2. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

just ask for a 16gb iPhone and tell them its a gift

then there is no questions or credit checks

thats wat i did!

3. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Eric is correct. Since you're not setting up service there's nothing to check credit for at the store. You're merely there to buy a phone.

4. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

When I went from a Treo 650 to the iPhone I have them my credit card, they gave me the box, I went home and activated it. No problem.

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I just bought my son one on ATT and had no issues.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

The credit check doesn't happen until the activation process in iTunes.

They should have the 16GB, but since it seems like you aren't just going around the corner, I would call ahead.

You have to buy it at the Apple Store! If you don't, how can you feel that sense of satisfaction during your purchase while everyone else that is there that can't afford it is looking at you with envy?:rolleyes:;)

7. knoxtown macrumors 6502

I bought it for myself back in December, no credit check.

8. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Walked in last Sat, said I wanted a 16 and an 8, they went in the back, grabbed them, ran my card, bagged them and sent me on my way. That was it!

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, with the iPhone, they won't do a credit check in store since the iPhone is meant to be activated through iTunes.

I bought two iPhones at AT&T since January and both times I just paid for them and left. They just gave me the standard 14 return policy warning.

10. RichardJohn macrumors member

Is this the same for O2 shops? I'm going to go and buy one on my lunch break, but they're so slow in the Apple store.

11. raymanster macrumors 6502

raymanster

Yes I believe so, no credit check.

12. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah, they were cool. I said it was a gift, and that they already had AT&T. No issue.

However, it was really for a family member I was with, so they opened it when we got back to the car, and it had paint chips in the back of it, smallish, but annoying for brand new and paying $500.

Went inside and tried to just get another one, but they refused to without the $50 exchange fee. Said I should blame apple it's their stupid idea. Yeah right guys I love Apple, so don't bash them. :) ha-ha.

13. FoxyApple macrumors newbie

no credit check here when i went to att.

if your worried about the hit, iphone might not be a priority for you.

14. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I have a 800+ credit rating. Not getting a credit check hit more than occasionally is what helps keep your credit rating up there. Inquiries decrease your credit rating, so the suggestion was way off base. However, I appreciate the other information.

15. iPhelim macrumors regular

Yep, completely the same. As long as you have enough on the card to actually buy the phone they'll just give it to you, well first they'll take your money. Same with Carphone as well.

16. mtoinma macrumors newbie

if I already have AT&T service...

Does anyone know how it works if I already have AT&T service and I want to keep my family plan and same phone number? Is home activation the same?
    Or do I need to buy my iPhone AT the AT&T Store and get it activated there?

17. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You can buy it wherever you want. You get the sealed box, and then you take it home plug into computer and activate on iTunes. If you're keeping the same plan and phone number in iTunes you select "replace existing phone," and then it adds the $20 data to your plan, and you're set!