How does content get from my computer to ATV2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Montymitch, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

This may seem obvious to many of you, but I can't figure it out. If I try to play a tv show that I have on my iMac on the ATV2, how does it get to Apple tv? Does it go straight from the comp to ATV, or does it go through the internet along the way?
    The reason I ask is that I am pretty disappointed with ATV speeds. It takes forever to load content from my computer and I need to know if it is just a problem with my isp, or if it is something else.
    Thanks in advance.

2. ldaustin macrumors newbie

It uses Itunes home sharing over your wired or wireless LAN. It does not use the Internet.

3. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

So if I'm experiencing lagging, it's a home network problem? or are there other factors to consider?

4. ISO:HELP macrumors regular

ISO:HELP

How fast is your computer>atv2 talking...is there any connectivity issues there?

for me i was on the slow setting on my airport extreme..

it helped with the buffering issues...Sometimes the buffering is just there once in a long great while..Make sure you on the 5 ghz network...

are you using xbmc or just the atv2 homeshare with itunes ?

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

hard wire it to your router with ethernet cable.

6. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

My ATV2 was having issues streaming HD content using WiFi, my home network is only G so I simply used a cable instead and havent had an issue since.