How does Continuity work?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Dj64Mk7, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

I've got a quick question about the new Continuity feature(s). How do they work? Does it use Bluetooth or Wifi or something? Are they compatible with iPhone 4s and iPad 3?

2. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Most likely WiFi.

3. gabriellanata macrumors newbie

I'm guessing its just basically airdrop that is always on. So therefore it would technically work on wifi or bluetooth LE as it would use the multipeer connectivity framework introduced in iOS 7.

4. Dj64Mk7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So then it'll work with the iPad 3 and iPhone 4s?

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

4S possibly because it will get iOS 8, but Apple does occasionally block features on older devices.

iPad 3 is not listed amount iOS 8 supported devices, so I wouldn't count on it unless we hear different before public launch.

6. tdar macrumors 6502a

The release notes state they are using Bluetooth in B1 but were supposed to use Wi-Fi. So expect this to change as we go forward.

----------

IPad 3 (or IPad with retina display) is listed and is working. I have one.

7. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

4S doesn't have AirDrop so I don't think so

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Ok then. The keynote made it look like it wasn't.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I hope it will continue to be able to use either Bluetooth or Wifi. There are often situations where my laptop might be plugged into a wired network and my phone is on a wifi that's on a different subnet, where one won't be able to reach the other. Bluetooth would make a useful fallback.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Will it work with data? I rarely use wifi. Seems like the automatic hotspot may make it possible without wifi.

11. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Well it seems to work via Bluetooth between my 5 and 5S that self-sync'ed right after I installed the beta on both (presumably via iCloud login)

12. bansh macrumors member

bansh

I can't get it to work. Tried it between my iPad air and my iPhone 5S but nothing is "continued" :rolleyes:

13. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Pretty strange to suddenly start seeing SMS messages on the iPad. My ADT Pulse system sends a SMS when I arm and disarm the system and now they show up almost instantly on my iPad too when my 5S is near the iPad!

It is VERY clearly all via Bluetooth as iOS 8 suddenly setup bluetooth links between my 5S, my test 5 and my iPad Air.

If it isn't working for you make sure you have bluetooth active on all the devices.

14. bansh macrumors member

bansh

Is Your Bluetooth icon shown as active during the connection?

15. cschmelz macrumors 6502

I have not seen it flash as active but I would suspect Apple would suppress the icon being active during the transient use of bluetooth (tho sis well within their power of course)

I will play with the feature with WiFi disabled tomorrow to prove the point but there is no other reason I can think of for iOS 8 to suddenly start linking all the iOS 8 devices via blueooth except to do this.

16. bansh macrumors member

bansh

Tried it also with bluetooth but it does not work for me right now. still trying to figure the issue out :confused:

17. uPhone macrumors regular

Since you can use continuity to turn on your iPhone's hot spot, it seems like it should work when you don't have a WiFi network to connect to.