How does Crysis play on a 'Nehalem' Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by FRKT, Apr 29, 2009.

1. FRKT macrumors member

I've looked over what seems thousand of benchmarks now and they're all wildly different in regards to the HD4870. Does anyone have experience running Crysis (under Boot Camp) on any 'Nehalem' Mac Pro with an ATI Radeon HD4870?

Being accustomed to the 15" display on my MacBook Pro, I'd also be interested to know how much of a decline in visual quality I should expect by decreasing the resolution of a 24" LED Display below it's native resolution (say, from 1920x1200 to 1440x900)? Will the image continue to look somewhat crisp?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's going to be the same as any PC using a single 4870.

Why would it be different? The processors aren't magically going to give you better performance.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. FRKT thread starter macrumors member

Well, heh, this is what I'm saying. The benchmarks for the HD4870 are all over the place. On Tom's Hardware it's reported to play at an average of 37FPS (1920x1200, no AA) whereas other reviews list 20-25 FPS. This makes little sense to me.

5. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Some websites uses different setting to test for crysis. I think techreport uses "gamer setting" instead of the highest setting because they consider that more playable.

6. FRKT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll make note of that for future reference. On Tom's Hardware, though, it explicitly lists "max settings".

7. GSV macrumors member

I'm not an expert at doing benchmarks, but I'll try to help out.

I've got a Nehalem Mac Pro, 2.66 Quad with 3 gigs of ram. I haven't played a ton of Crysis, but I am very satisfied with how it runs. In 1920x1200 on my 24" cinema display with everything set to Enthusiast (highest settings) and no AA, I average 25 FPS, with occasional quick dips to 15ish. This is on XP with DX9.

I must say that before I played, I had poured over different benchmarks, and always thought that anything below 30 FPS would suck to play. When I first started playing Crysis, I thought I was getting over 30 FPS, and was surprised to find that not the case once I turned the on the FPS readout. I haven't done any lower resolutions yet. I'm trying not to play for too long in lower settings so I don't get spoiled with the better FPS :D I can try it out in 1440x900 if you want.