How does cydia actually work?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iluvifone, Feb 22, 2011.

1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

I recently restored my iphone4 as a new iphone. I jailbroke it and went on to cydia to install some apps that i had purchased. Surpisingly enough, when I searched one of those apps (Photoalbums+), it said "Purchased!", all by itself..

Does that mean that when I sell my iphone4 this summer before getting an iphone 5, that whoever buys it from me will be able to install whatever apps that I bought from cydia?

And what about me? Will i have to buy them again when I buy a new iphone?

I'm not expert, but it seems to me like cydia is linking your purchases to your UDID or whatever it's called, rather than linking them to your paypal/gmail/facebook/etc.. hmm

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

The apps are linked to the account you purchased them with. So if you get another iPhone just sign in with the same account and you'll be able to reinstall any app you've bought.

3. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what i thought, too! I originally signed into my Gmail while purchasing my apps, and payed with paypal, but after i restored my phone, it didn't ask me to log into my gmail for it to see which apps i bought.. hmm

"The proof of payment is linked to a Google or Facebook account in case users move to a new iOS device or the firmware becomes corrupt or unjailbroken."

I don't see how the system is working, considering it didn't ask me to log in or anything. How did it know i previously purchased the package, even though i restored my iphone?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its there, you just didnt find it.
    Open up cydia and click "Manage Account"
    Its not that hard to see.

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

I just want to let you know that I actually get what you are talking about and have wondered the same thing. I have restored as a new iPhone and have been able to pull up apps I've purchased, and Cydia lets me install them wihout logging in for the first time. It's using the UDID for sure. I would also like to know if there is a way to remove the device from my account when I sell it.

But on the new phone, you'll be able to sign in, link that device to your account, and download your purchases. The only thing to wonder about is if the new person will get all the apps you bought for free.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No such feature available yet, once the device ID is tied up to your account it stays.
    Hope it does change though cause if you replace your iphone a few times then it wont let you install/download the paid package again and will have to contact Saurik to reset your account.

7. kre62, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

kre62 macrumors 68000

Under the Manage Account link, Saurik should list the devices currently linked to the account, with option to delete.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, hopefully they change it in the future.

9. bsbuggs macrumors regular