How does DiskDoctor compare to Onyx/CleanMyMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zooby, Sep 7, 2014.

1. zooby, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

No...they're not really worth it. OS X isn't like WinDoze that breaks itself on a regular basis.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Very unlike the Windows world, you will find relative few Mac users doing 3rd party tools. If any of those vendors say they are #1, ask yourself how many thousands copies it takes to have that title in the Mac world. Not so much.

4. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I'd suggest that Disk Utility that came with your Mac (look in your Utilities folder) is probably everything the typical user is ever likely to use. Having said that, odds are that the typical user won't ever feel the need. Like the above poster says, these sort of apps really aren't needed very often at all.

5. blakedeleon macrumors newbie

blakedeleon

Mac AppSorte limits a lot of cleaning options, so you'd better go with CleanMyMac.

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

disk utility no longer lets you repair permissions. you need to use terminal now, so much far everything a typical user will need.

the only disk utilities i use disk utility and disk warrior. if i think anything is wrong with the disk, ill just do a zero pass and restore from time machine

i used to use the apple jack script from source forge, but I'm not so sure if it works on the newer operating systems.

7. JSC macrumors member

--- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2016 ---
    I agree. Disk Utilities has become of marginal value. I use Disk Warriior 5 to improve performance.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Lots of threads on disasters from using CleanMyMac; just search for it.