How does everyone use multitasking?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ksgant, Oct 22, 2010.

1. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Just a general use question for iOS 4.1: Do you use your apps and just hit the button to close them and think nothing of them anymore? Or do you double tap the button, hold down on the icon of the running app and then kill the app that way?

The reason I'm asking, I'm doing it the latter way most of the time and it seems to be quite cumbersome. Should I just not worry about it and just have faith in the iPhone to manage the apps that are open? The only thing that I would worry about is an app like Motion GPS that will reach out on the cell network even in the background...using up data bits from my plan. Anything else that may do that?

Just curious.

2. Matth345 macrumors newbie

The only time i close them with the double tap and hold is when i am using gps apps. Otherwise there is really no reason to do so

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Apps that drain battery like GPS/Music are plainly obvious when running in the background (GPS has the little compass arrow top right, Music..well you can hear it).

Otherwise, manually killing apps does nothing (well it would, but the benefit is so small it wouldn't offset the usefulness or the time spent). I recently counted up on my iPhone 4 the number of apps in my tray, and I found 87. And the phone is as fast, and lasts as long.

4. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

I Close Them

I've had a real problem with battery life since upgrading my 3Gs to the 4.0 OS. It was obvious that some of the opened apps were running in the background, although I was finished with them. I've since become almost obsessive and compulsive about making sure any unneeded app is closed when I no longer need it. I'm not even sure that I'm saving much battery time, but I know my battery drains faster than before OS4. I'd much prefer a simpler solution to closing an app when I'm through and not having to track it down later on.

5. xkylar macrumors newbie

You can either disable multitasking altogether or use a combination of Backgrounder & Remove Recents app. I found a thread here somewhere & I'm loving my multitasking implementation now.

6. speedyfv macrumors member

You can you the removebg app in cydia which can kill all app's left open. I recommend it

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

The two battery drainer apps I have seem to be Skype and Fring, so I often find myself killing those apps manually.

8. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

DL remove backgrounder. I'm assuming you have SBSettings already, if not, download that first.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This is correct. Apps that run in the background and drain your battery always have some type of indication.

That shouldn't be happening. If it is then an app or two you have has a bug. You should never have to manage your background apps.