How does everyone wrap their plug and USB-C cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by squirrrl, May 29, 2015.

1. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I liked the old macbook plug that had those pop out wings that you could wrap your cord around. Even though the rMB power plug is now smaller and the USB-C cord is detachable, I find it's a PITA to carry it around neatly. The USB-C cord is pretty stiff and makes it hard to wrap around the plug and there's no way to secure it neatly without carrying a rubber band.

Otherwise, I love my new rMB but just wanted to know what everyone's been doing or if it even bothers anyone else.

2. bunmango macrumors newbie

Haven't got my MacBook yet, but for all of my other cables, I use a Velcro cable tie...

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I don't wrap it around the plug. I wrap it into a circle and then place it next to the plug. Still takes up less room than the older adaptors for me this way.

4. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Ditto

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I don't have the rMB, but for all my MBP chargers, I just coil up both cords (wall to block and block to laptop), using care to roll them as I coil to make the cables hang together, then secure both cord loops with a single velcro strap. It's compact, doesn't put any strain on the cords where they exit the block, and they fit well in my bag, tangle free.

6. squirrrl thread starter macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I guess I need to get a velcro fastener... I try to wrap the thing in a circle but it doesn't stay put... it just uncoils like an unruly garden hose.

That said, if I tuck the ends through the loop so that then tension of the end is against the loop surface, that seems to keep it put.

It seems like I'm making a big deal of this. I'm not really, just wanted to see how other people felt about this or had some ingenious way of dealing with this that I haven't thought of.

Until I get a sleeve with a pocket or a laptop bag for the rMB, I've just been jamming the cable and plug into my pocket and carrying the rMB in a booq viper sleeve (for the MBA 11" temporarily). So the plug and cord in my pocket get all tangled up and unruly.

Thanks for all the replies though!

7. lhagan macrumors newbie

I had the same issue, so I made a quick 3D printed piece that fits over the power adapter to secure the cable, similar to CableKeeps. It's been working pretty well for me so far for me. Kind of surprised something like this hasn't popped up on Kickstarter yet.
    IMG_1194.jpg

8. squirrrl thread starter macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

DUDE!! That's pretty sick... If I had a 3D printer, I'd definitely ask you for the file to make it. Sadly, I'll have to make one out of cardboard instead :(

9. bashi007 macrumors newbie

That looks good lhagan, is it possible to get the 3D printer file, as I have a 3D printer at work and would love to try this out.

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

This works very well.

11. tigerduck macrumors newbie

I roll it up. I'm happy that the cable isn't attached to the power brick any more. I never liked how apple implemented this with the cable jutting out at a 90 degree angle.

12. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I use a cord taco that I got for $1 years ago. I'm very happy with this new plug and detached cable !

13. lhagan macrumors newbie

@bashi007 sorry this took so long, my email notifications aren't working for some reason. STL file is attached. Mine came out a bit loose on the power adapter, so I just wrapped some blue painter's tape around the adapter to tighten up the fit. YMMV.

I am working on a refined version to upload to Shapeways & i.materialise so anybody can get one, but I just haven't had the time to finish it up.

Attached Files:

14. mikeray macrumors regular

I just coil it in a medium sized circle, detached from the square base. I actually like that it's detachable, I feel like it will experience less wear and tear.