How Does Finder Identify the Model of Network Shares?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Vandal., Jan 7, 2017.

1. Vandal. macrumors member

Vandal.

This might sound a bit dumb, but I was wondering—in Finder's sidebar every network share shows up with the corresponding icon, my Mini has a Mini icon, my Macbook a Macbook icon and so on and so forth. Generic (unidentified?) shares just show a simple display icon, SMB shares even had a BSOD icon back in Leopard.

My question is, how does this exactly work? Does the share "announce" the Model Identifier?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Kyoto has to with a couple of things. First Apple Engineers whom wrote the code when a computer in network announces it's self, when asked, and then it shows a certain icon repensitive for the networked computer. Then Finder an OCD itself to the network and the Mac looks for certain returns to show you the pre-programmed icon in the Finder.

If it is an older PC and doesn't reply to to a more modern operating system (older version of Windows) and you have to use the manual 'connect to server setup in Finder's Go menu item and use smb.