How does "Flyover" work?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by moonman239, Jul 4, 2012.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Im just wondering. Does TomTom have cars that are drivng around cities taking pictures of buildings? If so, i wonder when I will be able to see my house in 3D.

How about this: TomTom could use pictures from the Internet, pictures from their cars, and a satellite picture to construct a 3D rendering of every building.

2. DutchAmerican macrumors member

TomTom has special equipment what they use for the 'normal' maps. Also they have several 'drones' that makes pictures of buildings in a certain area what they translate to a 3D scale/maps.

But, the first fase is to make a 3D map of city's like Amsterdam or New York and I think it will take some years until they have a full 3D map of a country like the Netherlands. Mindblowing if you think it is for a country as the USA.:D

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I thought Apple said they had planes and helicopters that they were flying around taking pictures of the cities from all angles and then stitching them together?

4. newagemac macrumors 68020

Apple is using declassified military technology from the C3 company they purchased a couple of years ago for the 3D/Flyover part of the new maps. I don't think Tom Tom has anything to do with it other than the way Flyover integrates with the regular maps provided by TomTom and others.

The C3 company was also in the process of creating 3D panoramic interior views of businesses and other locations as well as street level 3D panoramic views. This will probably be incorporated into the Maps app later on.