Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
It says to come back to that page after ML is released and there will be further details.....

So come back when ML is released

JediSkipdogg

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
It says to come back to that page after ML is released and there will be further details.....

So come back when ML is released

I'm confused though on this...

Customers must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchasing their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 11, 2012 and the date when Mountain Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from the OS X Mountain Lion release date to make a request.

So if one bought their computer on June 11, they MUST upgrade on July 11 or it's not free? The first sentence is what puzzles me. Do we have 30 days from the Mountain Lion release date or 30 days from computer purchase date?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Customers must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchasing their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 11, 2012 and the date when Mountain Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from the OS X Mountain Lion release date to make a request.

So if one bought their computer on June 11, they MUST upgrade on July 11 or it's not free? The first sentence is what puzzles me. Do we have 30 days from the Mountain Lion release date or 30 days from computer purchase date?

I caught that too. I am interested in the answer to this

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
It means you have 30 days after Mountain Lion's release to put in your web request for the free upgrade.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX

You answered your own question with the quote.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
With Lion, you entered the serial number of your Mac into an Apple Website and they gave you a product code to enter into the Mac Store (assuming your Mac qualifies). You then downloaded Lion from there. I see no reason why Mountain Lion would be different.

JediSkipdogg

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
You answered your own question with the quote.

Actually I didn't but ok. Apple's wording should have left the first sentence out. Why say one must request it within 30 days of purchasing the computer and then also say within 30 days of the release of Mountain Lion? That's giving two totally different dates.

With Lion, you entered the serial number of your Mac into an Apple Website and they gave you a product code to enter into the Mac Store (assuming your Mac qualifies). You then downloaded Lion from there. I see no reason why Mountain Lion would be different.

Cool and thanks. Can you only download it once then and for one computer? I ask because I also have an iMac that appears it may still work on and would like to have both computers on the same operating system but only if I can do it for free. I know apps you can download for 5 computers with the same apple ID but wasn't sure how that worked on the UpToDate program.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Actually I didn't but ok. Apple's wording should have left the first sentence out. Why say one must request it within 30 days of purchasing the computer and then also say within 30 days of the release of Mountain Lion? That's giving two totally different dates.

Cool and thanks. Can you only download it once then and for one computer? I ask because I also have an iMac that appears it may still work on and would like to have both computers on the same operating system but only if I can do it for free. I know apps you can download for 5 computers with the same apple ID but wasn't sure how that worked on the UpToDate program.
It will be tied with your AppleID and available on any Mac that you own through the Mac App Store.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If it's like Lion was, you will obtain it via the "Up To Date" page. But as posted above, it's a wait and see situation. Rest assured that if you buy a new Mac now, you will get a free upgrade to ML when it's released.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Can you only download it once then and for one computer?
One download per machine and Apple ID. You can use the InstallESD.dmg on other compatible Macs.

So if one bought their computer on June 11, they MUST upgrade on July 11 or it's not free?
They use the computer serial number, which contains manufacturing date. I got my App Store code (Lion) in august or september 2011. The manufacturing date was the first or second week of April 2011, IIRC.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Actually I didn't but ok. Apple's wording should have left the first sentence out.

The first sentence applies to computers that will be sold after the release date of Mountain Lion, so it makes sense for that sentence to be there.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
It appears they are going to offer some kind of help to folks who don't have fast BB.

Read point 3 closely:
http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

Are they going to download it for you in the store?....:D

They'll likely have it on a server there, or on USB drives. Of course the problem is Apple stores are located in areas where anyone who wants broadband can get it. If you live in an area where it isn't, chances are there's a McDonald's or Starbucks with WiFi a lot closer to you than an Apple store.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place

They're ultimately the same thing, but referencing two different situations.

30-days After purchase of your machine -- So like all other OS X Up-to-date programs, if you buy a Mac the day of or after OS X Mountain Lion comes out you have 30-days from that purchase to get Mountain Lion at no Charge.

If you bought your Mac June 11th or later you have 30-days after Mt Lion is released to get it at no charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.