How does Garage Band > Microphone work?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Mar 5, 2011.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Saw the piano and that looked really cool, how does the mic work? Can you actually record as you would on a multitrack recorder ?

Do you use a external mic or internal within iPad 2?

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You may be able to plug in a USB microphone as long as you use the camera connector kit.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

Presently, you can use the line-in audio thru the headphone jack (mono), or the microphone input. You can also use the USB port for external USB audio devices using the USB connection kit.

Only some of these will work as the USB port on the iPad can provide less than half the power that a notebook can, and some USB audio devices require this USB power. Others can be self powered (batteries or ac adapter; the self powered USB audio devices are more likely to work)

Also, presently, USB audio devices need to be MAC compatible without the need for additional drivers. This limits the range of compatible USB audio devices probably more than anything else, as it's really hit-or-miss what will work.

Now with the iPad 2, all the above is probably true, plus added features are possible. What these are I have-no-idea :D

5. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks guys does anybody know though, if the mic works like a multitrack recorder where you can record multiple tracks and load a file/song??

6. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I'm really hoping you can record a vocal track for example with just the mic on the iPad.

7. wdaust macrumors newbie

How to record with the line in

I cant seem to figure out how to record audio with the line in. I tested it from my iphone with an audio cable from one headphone jack to my ipads headphone jack. It saw that there was something plugged in but didnt record the iphones audio but instead recorded the external mics audio. Can anyone help me get this to work?

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

You need a special cable. If you look at the iPhone headphones you'll see there are 2 rings on the 1/16th audio jack. The input for the mic in the headphones is on the second ring so a normal audio cable won't work. You need something like the irig