How does "genius" work without signal or wifi?

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I was surprised to see that when I picked a song on my iPhone (that has no phone service) and selected "Genius" mode to make a playlist, in an area where there was no wifi, it still worked.

I thought it sent your info to the "cloud" at Apple and somehow they sent back a list of songs....

So how is Genius working with no active connection?

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I was surprised to see that when I picked a song on my iPhone (that has no phone service) and selected "Genius" mode to make a playlist, in an area where there was no wifi, it still worked.

I thought it sent your info to the "cloud" at Apple and somehow they sent back a list of songs....

So how is Genius working with no active connection?
I believe your songs are tagged by iTunes when genius is turned on from your computer, that information is then sent to your phone via a sync. That is what the genius play lists are generated by.

mtehonica

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
I believe all your music metadata is sent up to the cloud when you configure Genius the first time through iTunes and it's only updated weekly.

Emulsion

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Yeah, cause my touch does have a connection and still works. Then there's the nanos that don't have a connection at all, and still works.