How does Glossy affect color?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J the Ninja, Jul 8, 2009.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The matte folks need to give a plausible and vaguely-scientific (read: the plural of anecdote isn't data) as to HOW Glossy screens hurt color accuracy. What is it that the glass does to the light?

I've heard way too many complaints about it's effects without a single good reason as to WHY it would do this. So go post one.

2. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I don't see how a glossy screen would impair color accuracy. For years, CRTs with glossy screens were the gold standard for color accuracy. The only issue I see with glossy LCD panels is reflections, and I can avoid those easily.

3. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I think glossy screens hurt colour accuracy exactly because of the gloss; the light coming from a particular on-screen position contains a much greater element of the light coming in from your surroundings than that from a matte screen would, even if the mix isn't consciously bothersome.

That said, I'm not a photo editor and I really don't have a gloss/matte preference. My personal MacBook Pro is matte because it's from 2006; my work iMac is glossy because it's from 2009. And I'm really not bothered by either.

4. PAC88 macrumors 6502

makes it over saturated.. but the biggest issue is the ability to see color, because all you see is your own reflection,,especially with blacks..