How does he do this? (multi track video)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by masterjedi73, Nov 4, 2011.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I've googled, and searched the forums. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Multi Track Video

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

What exactly are you looking to do?

This just looks like a bunch of video tracks layered, cropped, and positioned to make a grid.

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Well that's what I want to do and I don't know how to do it. :)

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Any compositing program will do this. Motion and After Effects are two big ones. You can also do this in Final Cut Pro, though it's more clunky. You take your clip, cut it into pieces, overlay them, then shrink each piece down and make a grid.

5. WestSt macrumors member

I'm almost sure there is a template in Motion you can work with and adapt to something like that. Not 100% sure that's where I've seen it though (I'm cut off from my Mac a couple of days)... And I believe Boris has a plugin that might work...? You pro's, am I close?

Edit: that plugin would be for FCP7 BTW.

6. cgbier macrumors 6502a

7. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

there is an effect in final cut pro for this under effects, tiling

8. mBox macrumors 68020

Good tutorial for beginners. Painful to watch as a die hard AE user :) This is easy in any NLE if you want to match the youtube video. But a decent Motion Design app is best for above and beyond the full frame look.

9. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I don't think that Motion was ever developed as an AE killer. IMHO two different beasts with different target groups.

For my job (agricultural documentation and the odd concert or wedding) Motion is absolutely sufficient - and, for me, easier to use. The only thing I'm really envious of is AE's Roto Brush.

10. mBox macrumors 68020

Hey no worries wasnt trying to match the two. Just little nuances and steps in the old Motion. I want to try this tutorial on the new Motion and see if its still the same. Only purchased it to learn how to make title templates for a class Im teaching. So far a great deal at $49. Ive drilled it in my students head (teach a night class) that Motion is just right for titling and basic compositing.

11. cgbier macrumors 6502a

There are some new tools and the GUI looks different, but for the rest it still works the same. You CAN even import old projects into the new version. :D

What I like are the new rigging and publishing features. You can build effects, generators, wipes et al as templates in Motion that will show up automatically in FCP X. Motion is not built into FCP anymore. It is rather the other way around, FCP builds up on Motion.

There's more on this in this video:

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mov/pixelcorps.cachefly.net/mbks_140_1080p_HD.m4v

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The tiling filter in FCP will take a single image and tile it but in the OP's video each tile is a different video.

Lethal