How does he take pics so quickly?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by salacious, Apr 28, 2013.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Im a video person, however i do like a bit of photography what i wanted to ask is this:

How does Kai from digital rev take only a few seconds to take a pic?

Does he use Autofocus mode? it seems if someones just walking by he whips the camera straight at them then snaps... i use manual most of the time and im not the fastest photographer nor the best but the amount of time he goes from camera in hand to taking the pic is almost impossible for me to conjure up unless its all set up? or hes just really good?

any tips?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/50-quick-photography-tips-in-less-than-15-minutes-digitalrev-172065

If you know your art and your gear the camera is an extension of your body.

If you are out and about you probably have settings in the ballpark for aperture, ISO, and shutter speed dialed in based on general lighting and subjects you want to capture. He probably does use autofocus. However, I predate autofocus, and unless I was doing shallow depth of field work, I could sharpen up very quickly.

As with anything, the more you do it and the more confident you become, the faster you can get.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Looks like he shoots a 35mm prime. Those focus way-fast. I also uses P mode which I also like better than manual. P allows you to choose the f-stop and shutter speed with only one dial. He first stands on the "right" spot. This is the key step. You THINK he shoots fast but musch of his time as moving to that spot and waiting fr the right time.

What is the saying "'f/8 and be there." That is all you need to do. Well it was in the days of 4x5 speed graphic cameras. f/8 is a little slow for a tiny format camera. so maybe "f/4 and be there".

But you asked about the speed? What he is doing is "pre-visualizing". He has figured out the shot and the perspective and so on before he picks up the camera. SO what is left to do but push the shutter button?

4. twitch31 macrumors regular

How long does it take to press the shutter button? If your camera is on, and you already have the right setttings then taking a pic should be very fast.

5. Razeus macrumors 601

6. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

7. righteye macrumors 6502

If you have a fairly wide lens on you can set the hyperfocal distance on the lens (if you are able to, a lot of modern lens do not have very clear markings) and then all you have to worry about is exposure and these days that is pretty much automatically taken care of, also if you have prepped the area you may well have a good idea of exposure already and if shooting RAW you should have quit a bit of latitude to play with, ETTR should allow plenty of exposure correction without bringing all the noise out of the shadows.
    Example; on my 24m TSE lens setting the ∞ mark against f8 will give an area roughly between 4' and ∞ that should be in focus(as long as you use f8 or smaller as the working aperture) to an acceptable degree, potentially enabling one to get a Grab shot better than maybe no shot at all. Some false blur could be added in post if the depth of field is to great and a crop to reduce the overall coverage of the photograph.
    This method enables you to just point the camera in the general direction and"click" the most important thing is capturing the "decisive moment" but thats a whole new topic.