How does iCloud backup 1gb of data in 1 minute?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by wiivile, Jan 8, 2013.

1. wiivile macrumors regular

I recently set my iPhone 5 to backup via iCloud, and it said the backup size would be 1gb. It finished in about 1 minute. How is this possible?? Can I be sure it uploaded the whole backup?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Yes, you can. Also don't forget that it backs up daily as long as the device is plugged in and on Wi-Fi. You can also do a manual backup from within Settings>iCloud>Storage and Backup if you feel it didn't complete.

3. wiivile thread starter macrumors regular

umm i dont think its possible to back up 1gb in 1 minute even if over wifi at standard modern internet speeds....

4. Bear macrumors G3

I believe that Verizon FIOS can move a GB that fast, although the plan that the average perosn would get, it would take closer to 2 minutes to move a GB. However, the WiFi would be the limiting factor in that case and you would be looking at a few minutes to move a GB of data over a perfect WiFi setup.

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Was this also your first backup or a later one? If it's a later one, it's only backing up changes made to the first one.

6. guitarmandp macrumors 6502

I am convinced when you delete something it does not go away and it is cached.

I had a CD of my friends band at 128Kbps that I ripped years ago. It was backed up to iTunes match. Last year I started upgrading all of my CD's to lossless. I reripped this CD and it uploaded in like 10 seconds to iTunes match. As a taste I deleted the files from my computer and the cloud claims that the files are 256Kbps but I don't buy it. There's no way you could upload that entire CD that's in lossless and convert it to 128 in that short of time.