How does iCloud drive work?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by BlueGoldAce, Sep 26, 2014.

1. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Okay, I apologize for my ignorance on this topic. I also greatly appreciate the help.

I am/was excited for iCloud drive. I have used dropbox and google drive (currently) and love having my important stuff backed up in the cloud.

I was excited for iCloud drive because it would be integrated into iOS 8 and os x Yosemite. I have an iPhone 6 plus with iOS 8.0.2 installed. I also have a macbook pro running the latest beta of OS X Yosemite.

How does iCloud work? I moved a portion of my google drive files to iCloud to test it out. The files were mainly powerpoints, keynotes, pdfs, etc. Why can't i access these files in pages, keynote, etc on iOS 8?

Is this something that has yet to be added, or is it a poor excuse for a cloud drive?

For example, it is easy to access my files on google drive app, and import it to keynote, etc.

Again, I greatly appreciate the help.

2. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

3. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

...iCloud drive doesn't work yet and won't til this Yosemite thing is released!!

4. Ries macrumors 68000

iCloud drive is up an running 100%, any app updated to it works.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

The iWork apps don't support the new document picker yet, so they don't let you select other folders. You should be able to access files that you drop into the corresponding app's folder though.

6. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

So the document picker should be added in an iOS app update then?

I assume the api will be available for third parties as well?

7. Ries macrumors 68000

File browsing is yosemite only (on iOS there a menu somewhere in the settings that displays the drive content, but you can only delete files there). To access something, you must use an app updated to iCloud drive, there is no "file browser" on iOS.

8. Brammy macrumors 65816

There isn't an iCloud app for iOS 8 like there is for Dropbox and Google Drive. Instead, iCloud Drive is accessed through any app that supports the iCloud Drive picker API.

Right now, not even Apple's own apps really support it. Pages, for instance, can read from its Pages folder on iCloud, but can't go up a level and see files in other folders.

9. Rigby macrumors 601

I don't know if Apple plans to utilize the document picker in the iWork apps.
    It already is. There are some 3rd party apps that support it, such as the latest versions of Dropbox and Goodreader.

10. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

No it's available on windows as well. iCloud drive for windows :)

11. BlueGoldAce thread starter macrumors 68000

I see, that makes sense.

I assume once Yosemite is official, we will see this document picker incorporated in both apple and third party apps?

12. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

It's not like a Mac or PC where there's an app that lets u select .. It's not even like Dropbox or Google drive that lets you select in an iOS device..

According to my knowledge, in ios, the app has to support it.. So suppose you have a ppt viewing app, it needs to support import from iCloud Drive, so then you'll be able to see it.. Even new extensions of dropbox and Google drive will be working in similar way. So if an app supports import from Google drive, and you have Google drive installed, you probably will be able to to download it on there...

I may be wrong .. I am a little clue less, cause o don't think apple released it yet, even though we are just allowed to upgrade to iCloud Drive.. Let's wait for yosmite..

If im wrong on this, someone please correct me

13. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

This could not be more incorrect.

14. Brammy macrumors 65816

We don't know, and it's not just just a switch that is thrown on Apple's end.

Given the amount of stuff devs have to incorporate, and the review process, it could be months before we see upgrades for this.