How does iCloud Photo Library compare to Flickr or Google Photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zooby, Nov 13, 2015.

1. zooby, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Google Photos:
    1. No. You can only do this if you delete the picture from the Google Photos app or Google Drive
    2. No. To download all the photos back to your phone, you have to do it manually. Consider it as a cloud-based storage using the Google Photos app. Also a hue caveat, if you opted for the free "unlimited" storage, your photos WILL be recompressed significantly REGARDLESS of the size.
    3. No integration like that. You will have to do it from Google Photos, export and "share" to instagram

Flickr:
    1. No. You can only do this from flickr's app/site. There's not even a desktop syncing client that I know of.
    2. No. You are saving things to flickr server. To get photos back to your iPhone, you have to download them manually, or rely on your data connectivity to see your photos from the flickr app.
    In the end, any other services can only provide a half-way service. Nothing will truly integrate with Photos app on the Mac.
    3. Same with above, you have to pick the photo from flickr first, then "share" to instagram.

Unfortunately there will be no truly integrated 3rd party service on iOS to match iCloud.

3. zooby, Nov 14, 2015

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Have you reported your issues to Apple?

5. zooby, Nov 14, 2015

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Maybe run both for a while and see what works better for you.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Dropbox is more versatile. Works across all platforms and is cheap.

8. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Dropbox is great and reliable, but not cheap if one doesn't need 1TB. And the free one is only 2GB. (and people are complaining about how "greedy" Apple is with 5GB free iCloud).

iCloud's 99c a month for 50GB is very good price to be honest.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Image the more you need with Dropbox the cheaper. My company is on the 1TB plan and it gives everyone in my company access to all of our files while giving me all the personal space for my files. Been using it for years and they have been trouble free.

The $.99 price is good for most users.