How does icloud work? HELP

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by CBillups1, Mar 20, 2015.

1. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

Ok so i have a lot of photos and videos saved on my phone and im running out of memory. DO i just back them up to icloud and delete them off the phone and they will remain in the cloud? Whenever i get new videos and photos i can keep backing them up and they my old photos will remain saved in the cloud?

if needed how do i retrive them back to the phone.

2. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

iCloud keeps a copy of everything on your phone, providing you have enough Cloud space. It enables you to backup your phone instead of using iTunes, but if you delete things off your phone then they will be deleted from your iCloud backup as well.

Cloud storage space is different, such as Dropbox etc. These storage facilities are like a virtual hard drive, so yes you can save things there and delete them from your phone.

3. CBillups1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

I have them all saved onto iphoto but i just dont know how long my computer will last and dont wanna possibly lose everything. I wish there was a way, there probably is. a way to save them somewhere safley so i can have space left on my phone

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Open up a Dropbox account. There are others of a similar nature and the apps are in the App store - Dropbox, One Drive, Box etc. You can save files/photos/videos there and remove them from your phone to free up space.

5. Trahearne, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

Trahearne macrumors 6502

You might want to try iCloud Photo Library.

The principle behind iCloud Photo Library is with the original saved on the cloud, your phone can safely and smartly turn your earlier photos and videos into size-optimised thumbnails when you are running out of storage, and pull them from the cloud on demand.

You needn't explicit backup or delete any of the photos by yourself, as your photos and videos would be queued for an Wi-Fi upload to iCloud once they are captured, and more importantly iOS will manage the library for you with regard to your available storage and last accessed time of the photos and videos.

But of course, if your library is already beyond 5GB, you are not willing to pay and you have no intention to keep everything in a single place and available on your tip, iCloud may not be the best choice for you.

6. TETENAL macrumors member

You should get an external hard drive for Time Machine then.

And then you can use something like iCloud Photo Library or Dropbox as additional off-site backup (in case of theft, fire etc.)

7. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Absolutely, I back everything up to an external hard drive thru time machine. I wouldn't rely solely on the "cloud" of any type.